• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£50K Interest Free Loan for 12 Months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Interesting points. But given the loan scheme seems set to remain for some time, taking a loan just in case you lose work later seems a stretch. Why not wait and see? DO we know when the scheme will run until by the way?

I think increased liquidity HAS been mentioned as a legitimate reason (?) though that is more relevant for people with considerable outgoings (stock, employees etc) but either way that doesn't seem the same as explicitly stating you're taking the loan as an investment. If you're cynically doing it for the interest, I really wouldn't go boasting about that online!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    To November - fill your boots

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
      I'm not - Its a point of principle now: Jan - March gig came to an end. Lined up another, via Umbrella, so resigned from Ltd. Virus binned that new gig, so P45 from umbrella without earning. Reinstated to LTD to claim furlough and HRMC said "No".

Lady luck smiled and I have picked up a 2nd fiddle option on Agency PAYE terms... but the principle is that HMRC said no, and this is my way of settling the score in my mind!

M
      Kinda with you on all this.

Comment

If your business has been interrupted by Covid-19 you are entitled to apply for the loan. This would defiantely include not being in contract and one might argue include being in a lesser paid one than normal. To actually get the money in your back pocket it would need to go through salary or dividend (although the latter would be restricted by other things discussed elsewhere).

If you are still in contract with no loss you probably shouldn't apply.

Either way you have to repay it so unless you are planning to take the money out and close the company everything will eventually get returned to normal.

I think some are guilty of over analysing this.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          If your business has been interrupted by Covid-19 you are entitled to apply for the loan. This would defiantely include not being in contract and one might argue include being in a lesser paid one than normal. To actually get the money in your back pocket it would need to go through salary or dividend (although the latter would be restricted by other things discussed elsewhere).

If you are still in contract with no loss you probably shouldn't apply.

Either way you have to repay it so unless you are planning to take the money out and close the company everything will eventually get returned to normal.

I think some are guilty of over analysing this.
          Or take it as a Loan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

FreeAgent: Deal with a loan

How to deal with money that's been lent to your business in FreeAgent.

Including BBLS

Comment

So we can take this loan out, pay nothing for 12 months and then give the exact same amount back at the 12 month point?

Seems worth doing even if just a precaution?

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                So we can take this loan out, pay nothing for 12 months and then give the exact same amount back at the 12 month point?

In theory, yes

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post

Assuming your business has been impacted by CV19 in some way, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Assuming your business has been impacted by CV19 in some way, yes.
                    Assuming the scheme runs for a while, the moment you get benched you could apply... Who knows how readily you'd find a new gig?

If you're in contract it seems hard to justify unless you've been asked to reduce hours or rate.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Assuming the scheme runs for a while, the moment you get benched you could apply... Who knows how readily you'd find a new gig?

If you're in contract it seems hard to justify unless you've been asked to reduce hours or rate.

Agree that it's a low bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X