• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

£50K Interest Free Loan for 12 Months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    In just about every case
    [/url]
    I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the smallprint in the BBL documents/rules or had it explained to them by an accountant to confirm this understanding?

    Comment


      Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
      I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the smallprint in the BBL documents/rules or had it explained to them by an accountant to confirm this understanding?
      It is a debt taken on by a Limited Company with no personal liability. So long as it is used correctly - e.g. paying Salary - if the business ceases to be a going concern and is closed they are in the queue with any other creditors.

      Comment


        So let me get this straight.

        I pay myself a minimal amount, no pension contributions.

        Would I be ok to do the following:

        1. Get 50k loan
        2. Carry on paying myself for 12 months
        3. If I get work, pay the loan off entirely asap
        4. If I don't get work, close up shop after 12 months and owe the government whatever is left in my account. Not worry because it's not personal liability

        I get that suddenly paying myself a pension would look didn't is they every check up on it.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Antimus View Post
          So let me get this straight.

          I pay myself a minimal amount, no pension contributions.

          Would I be ok to do the following:

          1. Get 50k loan
          2. Carry on paying myself for 12 months
          3. If I get work, pay the loan off entirely asap
          4. If I don't get work, close up shop after 12 months and owe the government whatever is left in my account. Not worry because it's not personal liability

          I get that suddenly paying myself a pension would look didn't is they every check up on it.
          The short answer is: yes.

          The slightly longer answer is that you'll need to keep an eye on what policy/strategy the banks adopt for chasing payments (i.e., how aggressively they chase), because there will be one across banks/government. You will also need to keep an eye on your fiduciary duties as a director, in order to ensure that those company liabilities cannot be transferred to you. For example, your business needs to be an ongoing concern; as soon as it becomes clear to you that the business isn't viable, you need to stop trading. Also, you need to avoid the preferential treatment of creditors (such preference payments, made within the last two years to connected persons, for example, can be set aside by the liquidator). This probably sounds a bit "woolly" because it is, but keeping decent records of your attempts to keep trading would be sensible.

          Comment


            If they are that dogged about investigating then the only issue I can see is that they would likely say that me looking for 500/day consultant work and not looking for £100/day grunt work is "not looking for work"

            Comment


              Originally posted by Antimus View Post
              If they are that dogged about investigating then the only issue I can see is that they would likely say that me looking for 500/day consultant work and not looking for £100/day grunt work is "not looking for work"
              Yes, I don't think they will (or would have the grounds) to make that case, but it doesn't hurt to keep on top of the rules, particularly your fiduciary responsibilities.

              Comment


                carrying on business on 1 March 2020

                "carrying on business on 1 March 2020"
                "impacted by coronavirus"


                Effectively does this restrict the loan to those Ltds which:
                a. had a contract on 1 March 2020 and
                b. that contract subsequently ended?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by bingocaller88 View Post
                  "carrying on business on 1 March 2020"
                  "impacted by coronavirus"


                  Effectively does this restrict the loan to those Ltds which:
                  a. had a contract on 1 March 2020 and
                  b. that contract subsequently ended?
                  It means that you had to be a viable business as of 1 March 2020 - not one already in distress. You don't have to have had a contract cancelled/end, just need to have been adversely impacted by events related to CV-19. So that could mean a reduction in working hours or a reduction in fees, changes in client or supplier payment terms, staffing issues, increased costs to the company, etc etc

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Antimus View Post
                    If they are that dogged about investigating then the only issue I can see is that they would likely say that me looking for 500/day consultant work and not looking for £100/day grunt work is "not looking for work"
                    Come on, things aren’t that bad. 500 a day for a consultant!?

                    You can look for whatever work you like.

                    Comment


                      Some adjustments coming to repayment requirements

                      Small firms are to get more time to repay state-backed loans taken out to help survive the coronavirus lockdown.
                      The changes include giving companies an option to extend the length of the loan from six to ten years under a "pay-as-you-grow" initiative.
                      Rishi Sunak offers more help to 1.4m firms repaying Covid loans - BBC News

                      Out if interest, for those that took out the BBL (I didn't), what are your plans come your 12 month anniversary?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X