• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous contract offer ignored.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous contract offer ignored.

I have been working as a contractor for a local authority, employed through an umbrella company.

My contract was due to finish at the end of March 2020, but back in February my manager verbally offered me a 6-month extension to October 2020 which I accepted in writing. The manager claimed she had received corporate approval to make this offer. At the time, I had two other offers on the table from other companies but decided to stick with my current employer on the basis of the extended contract.

They dily-dally about getting the contract signed. Then along comes Coronavirus. I received my notice, and my the HR department apparently has no knowledge of the previous contract offer made to me, claiming my contract was due to end by the end of March anyway. Because of this they cannot, or will not, furlough me!

I am currently working out my 4 week notice. But I have the written proof of me accepting the verbal offer of a contract extension to October, with my manager's reply saying how pleased she was.

Thoughts on this? Are they legally obliged to furlough me? So far my agent has been making the case but we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

What options are available to me?

Are you operating through a Ltd company? If so only your Ltd can furlough you at 80% of your salary and the client doesn't have to pay you or your company a penny.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
      Are you operating through a Ltd company? If so only your Ltd can furlough you at 80% of your salary and the client doesn't have to pay you or your company a penny.
      No I am not operating through a Ltd company.

Comment

And a verbal offer isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Your responding email is irrelevant I'm afraid.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
          Are you operating through a Ltd company?
          Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
          I have been working as a contractor for a local authority, employed through an umbrella company.
          So, no. Not operating through a ltd company.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            So, no. Not operating through a ltd company.
            Reading is not my strongest skill.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

^^ this sadly

Sounds like the manager didn't really have the sign off they expected.

Comment

Dear James,

Many thanks for the offer of £20k to see me through the Covid times thst you made verbally to me this morning. I happily accept. Please check your PMs for my bank details.

Yours faithfully
                NLUK.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The only options to the OP is that the Umbrella he is working through furloughs him using the CJRS.

The issue he will face is that most umbrellas are not furloughing as:

a) They tend to pay NMW and 'bonus payments', those bonus payments will not be reimbursed.
                  b) They will have a pay holiday pay accrual, effectively 10% of your wage, not reclaimable.

The scheme and the guidance are iterating quickly, so you may find this lacuna is dealt with - however for now, work on the assumption that this will not happen.
                  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Dear James,

Many thanks for the offer of £20k to see me through the Covid times thst you made verbally to me this morning. I happily accept. Please check your PMs for my bank details.

Yours faithfully
                    NLUK.
                    I see your point, but If James replied in writing "That's fantastic news that you have accepted my offer" it would prove the offer was real, no?

This is what happened in my case.
                    Last edited by JamesC34; 27 April 2020, 23:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X