• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Wed, Jul 28, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Umbrella companies, IR35 and the Job Retention Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Umbrella companies, IR35 and the Job Retention Scheme

    I apologise if this is being discussed elsewhere - I have searched the forums and can't find anything but may have missed it.

    I am fairly new to the UK and VERY new to umbrella companies and IR35. Currently with an umbrella company on an inside IR35 contract for which I was recruited by an agency.

    Thankfully, I am currently still working but obviously thinking ahead...

    If my contract comes to an end prematurely, will I be covered by the Job Retention Scheme for the self-employed?

    Prior to today's self-employed announcement, my umbrella company (officially my 'employer') said I was not covered by the scheme. And obviously I'm not covered for anything by the company I work for. Can anyone advise on this? I'm on a spouse visa and can't claim unemployment benefits if things go pear shaped, so keen to figure out what my options are.

    Thanks in advance!

    #2
    Originally posted by TazCaz View Post
    I apologise if this is being discussed elsewhere - I have searched the forums and can't find anything but may have missed it.

    I am fairly new to the UK and VERY new to umbrella companies and IR35. Currently with an umbrella company on an inside IR35 contract for which I was recruited by an agency.

    Thankfully, I am currently still working but obviously thinking ahead...

    If my contract comes to an end prematurely, will I be covered by the Job Retention Scheme for the self-employed?

    Prior to today's self-employed announcement, my umbrella company (officially my 'employer') said I was not covered by the scheme. And obviously I'm not covered for anything by the company I work for. Can anyone advise on this? I'm on a spouse visa and can't claim unemployment benefits if things go pear shaped, so keen to figure out what my options are.

    Thanks in advance!
    Sorry can’t help at the moment as I’m in the same boat except I’m a uk resident. So I guess we’ll have to wait and see how this unfolds. My umbrella told me on Monday to look at the gov.uk website (helpful not!) but today I gave them another call and they were a bit more understanding. They told me that the rules of the job retention will be released soon and then they’d have a better idea of how it affects umbrellas and will let us know. Fingers crossed!


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by TazCaz View Post
      I apologise if this is being discussed elsewhere - I have searched the forums and can't find anything but may have missed it.

      I am fairly new to the UK and VERY new to umbrella companies and IR35. Currently with an umbrella company on an inside IR35 contract for which I was recruited by an agency.

      Thankfully, I am currently still working but obviously thinking ahead...

      If my contract comes to an end prematurely, will I be covered by the Job Retention Scheme for the self-employed?

      Prior to today's self-employed announcement, my umbrella company (officially my 'employer') said I was not covered by the scheme. And obviously I'm not covered for anything by the company I work for. Can anyone advise on this? I'm on a spouse visa and can't claim unemployment benefits if things go pear shaped, so keen to figure out what my options are.

      Thanks in advance!
      No


      Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TazCaz View Post

        Prior to today's self-employed announcement, my umbrella company (officially my 'employer')
        Jeez, do people actually read what they write?

        Do you really think you can be both self-employed and have an employer for the same contract?

        HINT: you are not self employed. If you lose your contract due to Covid-19 and can somehow get your Umbrella to "furlough" you, then you might have a chance of claiming under the Covid-19 Job Retention scheme, but this is all still too new and unknown territory until more clarity is provided. You should be pushing your Umbrella for an answer.

        As for apologising "if this is being discussed elsewhere" - stop being so lazy and disingenuous. The same question has been asked across these boards at least 5 times already.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 26 March 2020, 19:50.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Jeez, do people actually read what they write?

          Do you really think you can be both self-employed and have an employer for the same contract?

          HINT: you are not self employed. If you lose your contract due to Covid-19 and can somehow get your Umbrella to "furlough" you, then you might have a chance of claiming under the Cover Job Retention scheme, but this is unknown territory so far. You should be pushing your Umbrella for an answer.
          Hey how about a little understanding not everyone is as much of an expert as you think you are!

          A lot of people are scared at the moment so how about playing nice!


          Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Beany View Post
            Hey how about a little understanding not everyone is as much of an expert as you think you are!

            A lot of people are scared at the moment so how about playing nice!
            This. There’s a time and a place for being a mouthy dick. Although General is usually the place, at this time it isn’t.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Beany View Post
              Hey how about a little understanding not everyone is as much of an expert as you think you are!

              A lot of people are scared at the moment so how about playing nice!
              I'm not an expert, nor am I claiming to be, but your question had already been answered (as much as it can be at this time) in the other threads you didn't bother reading before you posted.

              You are in the fortunate position of still having a contract.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                This. There’s a time and a place for being a mouthy dick. Although General is usually the place, at this time it isn’t.
                Agreed but someone not getting whether or not they are employed or not when they are via an umbrella needs a sharp word. Just ridiculous to not understand what they are. This is their job and lively hood. To not know is bordering on incompetence.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  I'm not an expert, nor am I claiming to be, but your question had already been answered (as much as it can be at this time) in the other threads you didn't bother reading before you posted.

                  You are in the fortunate position of still having a contract.
                  I didn’t ask a question! Why don’t YOU read the thread properly!


                  Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Agreed but someone not getting whether or not they are employed or not when they are via an umbrella needs a sharp word. Just ridiculous to not understand what they are. This is their job and lively hood. To not know is bordering on incompetence.
                    I disagree. Although umbrella customers are technically ‘employed’ they aren’t in the true sense compared to the permanent employees they work alongside.

                    Even the umbrella companies don’t know how this is going to pan out at the moment so what hope has anyone using their services got!

                    This person was just asking to get some reassurance as I’m sure we’d all like. If it can’t be given then people should just scroll past.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X