• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients attitude to contractors inc internet access etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand in your notice, life's too short.

If they ask why, tell them.

Prepare to be walked off site though.

Comment

Line up another gig, then jack this one in.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Just be straight with them. Sure, you go on the internet now and again to check the weather or read the news, sometimes you go the toilet too. But you always put in a full working day, so they're not getting ripped off.

Tell them if they're not happy they're always welcome to serve notice.

That speech might be best saved for someone in authority, preferably the person who gets to decide who to hire.

The worse thing that can happen is they terminate your contract - at least you'll be able to move on and find something better.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post

The worse thing that can happen is they terminate your contract
          Actually the worse thing that can happen is that they don't terminate the contact and carry on as before.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
            1) Hours now are what they say with no flexibility. All of a sudden once I'd re-signed.
            2) Continuous grief if you do something the wrong way (even if its what they said previously)
            3) Complaints I spend too long in the toilet! (Seriously cant believe someone is timing it!)
            4) Complaints I go to get a coffee during the 'working day'.
            "I'm not one of your employees but be assured that I'll report these issues to my boss and he'll take the necessary measures"

Comment

Yep accepting the extension was my fault. But it was calming down a bit before I took it on.
              I always knew they were a PITA but its decent rate/flexible hours (which has now changed!) and they seemed to be off my back a bit. Warchest aint great so I thought, head down, 3 more months I can cope. I expect I aint the first.

That was before they came up with even more tulipe to throw at me. Its as if someone higher up has got the idea in their head that thats it they've got to get their moneys worth. When the mentioned the toilet thing I just laughed - its so ridiculous to think that someone is actually watching me! Bit scary to be honest. I did kick off a bit and told them this but they just shrugged their shoulders.

Trouble is 4 weeks notice so I'd have to quit rather than get something else first. 4 weeks no-ones going to wait. I feel like going in and giving notice but hey ho I need the money. I wish I was in the position.

Must admit I am tempted to apply for other stuff, be a bit vague on notice period, then if it comes off, give current client a week and tell them to stuff it. Of course, would go down like a lead balloon etc. and appreciate its not cool but ultimately Im never going to work here again.

Comment

4 weeks notice, no flex on hours, and monitoring your toilet breaks. Mate, IR35 alert!
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Use your phone whenever you need to look something up and consider an exit strategy of relations become more strained.

I haven't even got internet access in my current contract and really can't be bothered to fill in the forms to do it!
                  I'm sure I would be a crap programmer without the internet, well less productive.

Comment

You have a couple of options obviously (well 3 but finding the mole and giving him/her a kicking is probably not the most productive)

1 : Keep your head down, invoice, internet on your phone and watch your toilet times. Build up your warchest.

2 : Walk, no-one is going to wait 4 weeks so you need to hand in notice then start looking, hopefully get something around 2-1 week left mark.

Depends on if you think you can hack it or not. Seriously look into IPSE insurance if you don't have it though.

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
                      Yep accepting the extension was my fault. But it was calming down a bit before I took it on.
                      I always knew they were a PITA but its decent rate/flexible hours (which has now changed!) and they seemed to be off my back a bit. Warchest aint great so I thought, head down, 3 more months I can cope. I expect I aint the first.

That was before they came up with even more tulipe to throw at me. Its as if someone higher up has got the idea in their head that thats it they've got to get their moneys worth. When the mentioned the toilet thing I just laughed - its so ridiculous to think that someone is actually watching me! Bit scary to be honest. I did kick off a bit and told them this but they just shrugged their shoulders.

Trouble is 4 weeks notice so I'd have to quit rather than get something else first. 4 weeks no-ones going to wait. I feel like going in and giving notice but hey ho I need the money. I wish I was in the position.

Must admit I am tempted to apply for other stuff, be a bit vague on notice period, then if it comes off, give current client a week and tell them to stuff it. Of course, would go down like a lead balloon etc. and appreciate its not cool but ultimately Im never going to work here again.
                      Presumably you are allowed to take holidays.

1. Find new gig
                      2. Agree start date in n weeks time (e.g. where n = 2)
                      3. Advise gig that you will be unavailable for work for a period of 4 - n weeks starting in n weeks' time
                      4. Hand in 4 weeks' notice

Alternatively, instead of of a holiday, offer to send a sub for n weeks, but give them the option of terminating the contract early if they prefer.

If that fails, aside them that you have developed a bowel complaint and will be spending most of the n weeks in the toilets, but you are confident you can work from the toilet, but give them the option of terminating the contract early.

Comment

Working...
                      X