• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients attitude to contractors inc internet access etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound's like a call centre, tell him you are a professional educated person and not some call centre chav who needs to be monitored. Tell them you use the internet as a tool to do your job and if they raise it again you will leave without notice. Any contractor who puts up with this is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      Sound's like a call centre, tell him you are a professional educated person and not some call centre chav who needs to be monitored. Tell them you use the internet as a tool to do your job and if they raise it again you will leave without notice. Any contractor who puts up with this is a joke.
      Hang on a minute. I though this was an IT contractors' forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        WHS - Hand in your notice

Might be more fun just to say you don't want to discuss it, that always pisses off anal types.

Please name the company so we all know to avoid - After you leave.
        That is so true...at one gig I knew they were angling to finish me early (clash of opinions - they were wrong, I was right) so kept my head down and applied for other roles. Managed to get one lined up just before the call came from the agent to pick up my things next morning and hand in pass. Got there early when subordinate permie came at me with a clip board and wanting to "have a chat".
        I explained that I was a professional and all I was interested in, was him signing off my timesheet and I'd be on my way. He seemed a little miffed that he was denied the opportunity of pointing out my shortcomings (in his opinion).
        Last edited by administrator; 29 September 2014, 11:16. Reason: Removed winker
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
          Yep accepting the extension was my fault. But it was calming down a bit before I took it on.
          I always knew they were a PITA but its decent rate/flexible hours (which has now changed!) and they seemed to be off my back a bit. Warchest aint great so I thought, head down, 3 more months I can cope. I expect I aint the first.

That was before they came up with even more tulipe to throw at me. Its as if someone higher up has got the idea in their head that thats it they've got to get their moneys worth. When the mentioned the toilet thing I just laughed - its so ridiculous to think that someone is actually watching me! Bit scary to be honest. I did kick off a bit and told them this but they just shrugged their shoulders.

Trouble is 4 weeks notice so I'd have to quit rather than get something else first. 4 weeks no-ones going to wait. I feel like going in and giving notice but hey ho I need the money. I wish I was in the position.

Must admit I am tempted to apply for other stuff, be a bit vague on notice period, then if it comes off, give current client a week and tell them to stuff it. Of course, would go down like a lead balloon etc. and appreciate its not cool but ultimately Im never going to work here again.
          Get another role lined up then "go sick" for a month. A client like this deserves no consideration.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Clients attitude to contractors inc internet access etc

LOL! There's another thread on here where a lot of people are saying they wouldnt leave a contract for another paying 30% more. 'See out your contract' is how one <mod snip> actually wrote and yet here, people are saying jump ship because the client is perhaps being a little attentive!

The OP took an extension. He knew what the client was like. Stuff like 'oh they werent as bad as they were' just doesnt wash. a leopard never changes its spots.

The OP should suck it up and tell the client he's not their employee (I suppose he already has) and he needs to keep repeating it. If they get tired of him they'll soon terminate.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

LOL. No its an IT support role but client has got a lot of 'call centre' staff which is where I think the attitude comes from.

Yes, as tasslehoff says, suck it up or quit it. But maybe Old greg and others have got some good ideas too.

To be honest, being relatively new I was expecting most of you to say suck it up thats contracting so a little surprised to find its that bad to be honest. Hold my hands up - my fault it was always going that way with them I should have known. And yes member of PCG because aware that IR35 is not good at this one.

Comment

Do you think they'd terminate your contract?

I'd go the other way. Rejoice in how flavoursome my coffee was. Announce when I had one in the bomb bay and warn everyone that "This may take a while". Remark about the weather in random places around Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
                  ....To be honest, being relatively new I was expecting most of you to say suck it up thats contracting so a little surprised to find its that bad to be honest....
                  I guess you got it wrong, one of the best perks of contracting (and probably my personal favorite) is that you don't have to put up with tulip like that.

For me the only person (other than myself) who's opinion of my timekeeping matters is the one who signs my timesheets. If that person is happy, i don't give a rats buttocks about some grumpy permie's opinion, even if that person is middle management.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    I guess you got it wrong, one of the best perks of contracting (and probably my personal favorite) is that you don't have to put up with tulip like that.

For me the only person (other than myself) who's opinion of my timekeeping matters is the one who signs my timesheets. If that person is happy, i don't give a rats buttocks about some grumpy permie's opinion, even if that person is middle management.
                    +1

Yep, ignore anyone else. They're just sticking their noses where they aren't wanted because their own lives are so miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                      Do you think they'd terminate your contract?

I'd go the other way. Rejoice in how flavoursome my coffee was. Announce when I had one in the bomb bay and warn everyone that "This may take a while". Remark about the weather in random places around Europe.
                      To be honest, after the number of disagreements I was surprised they offered extension to be honest.

But, its beginning to dawn on me that they're playing the game. They obviously need me to perform this task and are willing to put with it and dont mind if they piss me off as long as they get what they want.

I guess if I push it they might terminate but I seriously think in their head Im worth having here and screwing the most out of for a few more months.

The toilet thing I told them if was pathetic and to do one.

Comment

Working...
                      X