• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients attitude to contractors inc internet access etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
    To be honest, after the number of disagreements I was surprised they offered extension to be honest.

But, its beginning to dawn on me that they're playing the game. They obviously need me to perform this task and are willing to put with it and dont mind if they piss me off as long as they get what they want.

I guess if I push it they might terminate but I seriously think in their head Im worth having here and screwing the most out of for a few more months.

The toilet thing I told them if was pathetic and to do one.
    Why do you put everyone in the same basket? Have you ever considered that the hiring manager or someone else up the ladder understands your value and appreciates the work your are doing, hence offered you an extension. While probably the exact same reason provoked the envy of some permies who's own shortcomings are ever more evident when their performance is measured against yours, so they decided to make your life miserable and you let them have their way.

Comment

Well it gets worse. I was hoping to stick my head down and last this one out until the end but things have escalated.

It seems some of the permies have been complaining about internet again. Thing is I pretty much haven't been using it more than 5 mins a day apart from work stuff.
      Also, some of the permies have been complaining about my attitude. That one really got me going. Been doing this a long time and never had issues and now I get some permie whos 3-4 years out of college saying that. Lets just say I nearly exploded.

Looks like a bit of a permie plot on the go here. Weird because I thought I got on well but I think the general attitude in the company is to look after yourself, backstab others and of course, contractors are the favourite target. Performance does not seem to matter at all.

I did stress me the last time thinking the gig might get canned but now I've realised whats going on and theres bugger all I can do about it. Its gonna happen.

So looks like next week something will happen when it all gets looked at. Got a feeling it might end with me being shown the door.
      I know Im on 4 weeks notice but im pretty sure they'll want it immediate which seems a bit unfair (i.e. cook up a story to avoid notice- after all after 2 extensions they can hardly say I cant do the job).

On the plus side, had an interview this week which went well and Im going to know about this one early next week. Now that would be so nice.........
      Last week I was worrying about letting them down because Im on 4 weeks notice and new gig wants me to start in 2 (and I wasnt keen on bailing anyway) - lets just say this weeks happenings have changed my opinon on this. If it comes off, I will consider just walking out of the door...

Comment

Well it gets worse. I was hoping to stick my head down and last this one out until the end but things have escalated.

It seems some of the permies have been complaining about internet again. Thing is I pretty much haven't been using it more than 5 mins a day apart from work stuff.
        Also, some of the permies have been complaining about my attitude. That one really got me going. Been doing this a long time and never had issues and now I get some permie whos 3-4 years out of college saying that. Lets just say I nearly exploded.

Looks like a bit of a permie plot on the go here. Weird because I thought I got on well but I think the general attitude in the company is to look after yourself, backstab others and of course, contractors are the favourite target. Performance does not seem to matter at all.

I did stress me the last time thinking the gig might get canned but now I've realised whats going on and theres bugger all I can do about it. Its gonna happen.

So looks like next week something will happen when it all gets looked at. Got a feeling it might end with me being shown the door.
        I know Im on 4 weeks notice but im pretty sure they'll want it immediate which seems a bit unfair (i.e. cook up a story to avoid notice- after all after 2 extensions they can hardly say I cant do the job).

On the plus side, had an interview this week which went well and Im going to know about this one early next week. Now that would be so nice.........
        Last week I was worrying about letting them down because Im on 4 weeks notice and new gig wants me to start in 2 (and I wasnt keen on bailing anyway) - lets just say this weeks happenings have changed my opinon on this. If it comes off, I will consider just walking out of the door...
        Attitude in what way?

I'm imagining a contractor going in with a 'lets get this tulip done' attitude and the permies coughing over their biscuits making excuses about why things can't possibly be done that way.

Comment

The permies probably have the internet sites they used capped and are heavily monitored, while you being in "IT" can go to what site you like and be on as long as you like.

They obviously don't realise that being in IT lots of the information you need is on there. (In fact all the "professionals" I know have lots of information for their jobs on the internet.)

They are clearly unhappy with your "special" privileges i.e. not monitored like they are, being able to do the work and being "temporary" for too long.

There is clearly a management problem as they haven't explain to their workforce why you are there so if they get rid of you be glad.

Just make sure they pay you for the time you are on-site so make sure your timesheets are up to date everyday, so you can get them signed before you are walked off site.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some offices and organisations are never going to change and resent anyone who offers anything different. It is all very well anyone from the outside saying 'keep invoicing' but it does get to you eventually. Sounds like they want the off the shelf expertise of a Contractor with the direction and control of a permanent employee.

Personally I would get whoever you report to in a room and tell them how it is going to be from now on. They can either like it or get rid if you.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Just make sure they pay you for the time you are on-site so make sure your timesheets are up to date everyday, so you can get them signed before you are walked off site.
              +1 to that.

If you like to play the game, enjoy it and keep billing the client. If however it impacts your stress levels and peace of mind, the effort ain't worth it.

Good to hear that you had an interview. Keep applying and stay optimistic. You are not the 'miserable clan'

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Attitude in what way?

I'm imagining a contractor going in with a 'lets get this tulip done' attitude and the permies coughing over their biscuits making excuses about why things can't possibly be done that way.
                All friendly on the surface but work/responsibilities are jealously guarded. If contractors tries to 'help' they dont like someone entering their domain.
                Also, there is a lot of bitching and backstabbing going on I have noticed. It seems people get ahead in the organisation by playing the game and doing others down. Happens everywhere but never seen it this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The permies probably have the internet sites they used capped and are heavily monitored, while you being in "IT" can go to what site you like and be on as long as you like.

They obviously don't realise that being in IT lots of the information you need is on there. (In fact all the "professionals" I know have lots of information for their jobs on the internet.)

They are clearly unhappy with your "special" privileges i.e. not monitored like they are, being able to do the work and being "temporary" for too long.

There is clearly a management problem as they haven't explain to their workforce why you are there so if they get rid of you be glad.

When I refer to permies I refer to fellow IT permies in the same dept so access all the same. But there seems to be a big issue where the permies are proud to report that they've caught a contractor at it.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    +1 to that.

If you like to play the game, enjoy it and keep billing the client. If however it impacts your stress levels and peace of mind, the effort ain't worth it.

Good to hear that you had an interview. Keep applying and stay optimistic. You are not the 'miserable clan'

HTH
                    Like I said last time, probably should not have taken the last extension. I knew it was bad and its just got worse since then.
                    I was hoping to stick it out until the end but I dont think it'll happen now.

Comment

Well I was half-thinking they might have shown me the door this week but so far so good.
                      Obviously, I think, they need me to do the work.

8 weeks left (until xmas) of the contract. Still undecided whether to suck it up, try and keep my head down, and carry on invoicing or tell them to stuff it one day and walk out.
                      Probably 1st option because of the money (if warchest was better it'd be different) and the hassle it would cause.

BUT, been looking around and telling agencies Im on one weeks notice (Im not its 4 weeks). If something else comes up, I will be telling them they've got a week if they want me there but Im not staying for 4 weeks. Will probably go down like a lead balloon but in the circumstances I think thats fair.

What would be the best way to do this? Give 4 weeks notice but then say BTW, Im actually not available for last 3 weeks? Or say nothing and just dont show/go sick for last three?

Comment

Working...
                      X