• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients attitude to contractors inc internet access etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
    Well I was half-thinking they might have shown me the door this week but so far so good.
    Obviously, I think, they need me to do the work.

8 weeks left (until xmas) of the contract. Still undecided whether to suck it up, try and keep my head down, and carry on invoicing or tell them to stuff it one day and walk out.
    Probably 1st option because of the money (if warchest was better it'd be different) and the hassle it would cause.

BUT, been looking around and telling agencies Im on one weeks notice (Im not its 4 weeks). If something else comes up, I will be telling them they've got a week if they want me there but Im not staying for 4 weeks. Will probably go down like a lead balloon but in the circumstances I think thats fair.

What would be the best way to do this? Give 4 weeks notice but then say BTW, Im actually not available for last 3 weeks? Or say nothing and just dont show/go sick for last three?
    Suck it up, invoice, and finishing up or maybe even telling them to shove the next extension they'll probably offer will be a nice xmas treat for you.

Comment

When the mentioned the toilet thing I just laughed - its so ridiculous to think that someone is actually watching me!
      Go nuclear and tulip yourself at your desk. When someone complains say "I had already exceeded my daily toilet break allowance so it was the only option available. Now stand back, I feel a strain coming on again."

Comment

Like I said last time, probably should not have taken the last extension. I knew it was bad and its just got worse since then.
        I was hoping to stick it out until the end but I dont think it'll happen now.
        In the meantime, think about investing in these:

For the twoots who sit by your side -> Here Price depends on the size of your screen.

For the Toms behind you -> Here

Comment

All the tea in china wouldnt get me to take another extension with them.

I fear its going to be a difficult few months if I stay. I think Im a marked man now and it'll be only a matter of time before something else gets picked up on.
          At the moment, I think the permies are in for the kill but management, it appears, know I do the work. That my thinking anyway.

Still wont stop them giving me a hard time. Stupid thing is turned around today and 4/5 permies around a desk watching youtube video of something. This would be one of the nobheads who decided to dob me in and tell management I was always on the internet (when it was very little in all honesty).

Comment

All the tea in china wouldnt get me to take another extension with them.

I fear its going to be a difficult few months if I stay. I think Im a marked man now and it'll be only a matter of time before something else gets picked up on.
            At the moment, I think the permies are in for the kill but management, it appears, know I do the work. That my thinking anyway.

Still wont stop them giving me a hard time. Stupid thing is turned around today and 4/5 permies around a desk watching youtube video of something. This would be one of the nobheads who decided to dob me in and tell management I was always on the internet (when it was very little in all honesty).
            Management can see how often you are on the internet just by getting system logs.

I think someone found out how much you earned by accident.....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Management can see how often you are on the internet just by getting system logs.

WSES
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

some people just hate contractors.

they can't see any strategic need to use them "Why not hire another permie instead of an expensive contractor".

I've been subjected to the "difficult" permie a couple of times, but actually my experience as a contractor overall has been fine. Maybe I've been lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  some people just hate contractors
                  I really don't get permies who have this attitude: why don't they just go contracting? They must see all the unwarranted free money thrown at us, so why not join in? Deep down, even they must see some downsides.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                    I really don't get permies who have this attitude: why don't they just go contracting? They must see all the unwarranted free money thrown at us, so why not join in? Deep down, even they must see some downsides.
                    All they hear is the day rate figure.

Contracting isn't for everyone. As we're always saying on here, you need a bunch of cash saved up before you try contracting (see the thread where a guy has almost no money left and the agent won't pay him as his ltd doesn't have an account yet)

Most people need the security (perceived security anyway) of a regular pay check coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      some people just hate contractors.

they can't see any strategic need to use them "Why not hire another permie instead of an expensive contractor".

I've been subjected to the "difficult" permie a couple of times, but actually my experience as a contractor overall has been fine. Maybe I've been lucky.
                      I'm aware of this.

Which is why I thought someone must have seen what he earns (or more likely what they are paying the agency).

It doesn't help that he's been extended as according to the permie, who can't work out that larger companies tend to plan their workforce 2 years in advance, it should be a permanent position.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X