• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large Scottish bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molsang View Post
    In my present one there are lots of politics, two contractors already laid off last week, few got notice and laying off on 9th Apr
    Aren't you lucky to be moving to an industry which is renowned for it's lack of politics and good treatment of contractors, then.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
      Fair enough. Sounds to me like you might be better off as a permie, though.
      No I won't be able to send kids to Private school with permi salary, will I? I am comfortable being a contractor but long term contract is good for family and self at times

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Aren't you lucky to be moving to an industry which is renowned for it's lack of politics and good treatment of contractors, then.
        My friend, I am not the kind who is happy to run after money for entire life. I am doing contracting for set purposes, I will be better off taking early retirement and doing something else in life. You know I live life in phases saying this I am enjoying the current phase though...I enjoy my work and not much bothered about politics (why shall I?)...but politics in current contract is between two big outsourcing suppliers so that affect the entire team, politics is not really between individuals and there is healthy cordial team atmosphere wherever I worked

Comment

My friend, I am not the kind who is happy to run after money for entire life. I am doing contracting for set purposes, I will be better off taking early retirement and doing something else in life. You know I live life in phases saying this I am enjoying the current phase though...I enjoy my work and not much bothered about politics (why shall I?)...but politics in current contract is between two big outsourcing suppliers so that affect the entire team, politics is not really between individuals and there is healthy cordial team atmosphere wherever I worked
          I take it you've never worked at RBS before?
          Me thinks that's going to change in the very near future
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No I won't be able to send kids to Private school with permi salary, will I? I am comfortable being a contractor but long term contract is good for family and self at times
            You do know that as a contractor your contact length means exactly sod all?

If you think that they won't cut it short with less that 1 second of notice if it suits them then you're completely foolish.

Comment

you could go home

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                You do know that as a contractor your contact length means exactly sod all?

If you think that they won't cut it short with less that 1 second of notice if it suits them then you're completely foolish.
                Yes I know but that never happen with me in any of my previous contracts even tougher than this new one

Comment

Well I will see the situation after six months and since this is what agency is saying not me bring up so agency will take care that part and yes I am leaving the current one I was not really expecting the Bank offer to arrive out of the blue all of sudden, I stopped chasing the agency after first two weeks. In my present one there are lots of politics, two contractors already laid off last week, few got notice and laying off on 9th Apr, this one not really started...till on beginning stage, accesses have not been given after seven weeks so its God's gift that Bank offer arrived just on time lol
                  With all due respect, this is a dangerously naive approach for a contractor to have. You can't really believe the agency is going to suddenly try and get you more money halfway through, can you? There's absolutely no reason for them to do it, and despite the smiles and the chattiness, they're not your friend, and they're not in the business of serving your interests.

Do yourself a favour: get some more marketable skills so that agencies can't hold this "it's hard for you to find work" nonsense over your head.

Comment

I don't know who or why agent said that you would be able to get increase after 6 months.

When you accept the new terms, the 10% Rate reduction is for the whole of 2014 with no chance of increase, it says that in black and white, you need to read the whole thing and not just the first few lines.

I would imagine that is FY 2014 and not calendar 2014 so, April 2014 to April 2015.

Comment

Yes I know but that never happen with me in any of my previous contracts even tougher than this new one
                      Well, luckily things that have never happened before cannot, by definition, happen in the future. Wait, that's not right.....

Comment

Working...
                      X