• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous Line Manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous Line Manager

I've not had to look for work on the open market for a number of years as my last few roles have been by referral/network.

This time round for most of the positions I am approached for the Agencies are asking for references.

How do you guys deal with the request for a reference/testimonial from your previous 'Line Manager'?

I am being forward for a promising role and the list of 'compliance' questions the agency needs answering before they submit me to client.

My first draft reply was:

"I do not have a previous Line Manager as am an contract resource working with an organisation for an agreed set of work"

Given that references are a thing of the past why do they insist on this? Any permy member of staff I approach will tow the HR line and say "speak to HR" and HR will then say we don't give references.

To combat this I have a set of letters confirming my last 5 years contracts from each of the agencies involved. But some agencies are insisting on references from Line Managers, not agencies or peers.

Has there been some change in practices/legislation driving this?

Sounds to me like straight forward phishing for leads. I wouldn't have thought that you'd have fallen for that based on your other posts. Am I missing something?

Comment

Good thread here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eferences.html

I think your draft response is spot on, go with that and the details of last agency(ies) for the period they are asking for.
      If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

I can see what how that might be the case but should have mentioned this agency is the one I used for my last assignment of 12 months!

I recently got offered a role which was subsequently canned before I started. Same request from a different agency. I got them two personal references from peers and they have not been contacted since for leads or work from the agency.

I think the agents are serious about the background checking. Perhaps the clients are asking them to do more.

I should add the roles I go for are Programme Director/Manager level so routinely carry large budget and change responsibility. Perhaps that is driving some of this.
        Last edited by Damon; 13 November 2013, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
          Good thread here

I think your draft response is spot on, go with that and the details of last agency(ies) for the period they are asking for.
          Fixed link? http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eferences.html
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
            Good thread here

Thank you, yes I have read and responded to that post.

I will get the 'Testimonial Form' completed by a trusted peer and send that on with the agency confirmation letters.

I just wonder what is driving this as I am not convinced it is phishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
              Thank you, yes I have read and responded to that post.

I will get the 'Testimonial Form' completed by a trusted peer and send that on with the agency confirmation letters.

I just wonder what is driving this as I am not convinced it is phishing.
              A process has been created to meet an ISO standard and win the contract with the clientco.
              That process has to be followed regardless of how easy / practical it is.....

You look for malice, I just look for incompetence / unforeseen circumstances....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                I should add the roles I go for are Programme Director/Manager level so routinely carry large budget and change responsibility. Perhaps that is driving some of this.
                I am at Director/Senior Management level also and IMO references are still irrelevant until offer stage, not at application stage.

In respect of Peer / Client Testimonials ( which, rightly or wrongly, I think of as different to References ), these can be viewed on either my LinkedIn profile and/or my company website : a link to both is on my CV.

They may well just being being over diligent in background checking rather than phishing, I can't comment on what this particular agencies' driver is, but I still think it is not appropriate at submission stage to demand "line manager references".
                Good luck with it anyway
                If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  You look for malice, I just look for incompetence / unforeseen circumstances....
                  +1 If more people applied this common sense approach there would be a lot less agent hating going on. Would be bliss if MaysonRyan would take a leaf out of Eek's book. He would be a lot happier.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Perhaps because of the general trend this is being interpreted as a negative attitude from me but I can assure you as not. Take a look on the references thread

My two main issues for me are the actual practicality and worth of these checks and whether there is a trend driving this?

Totally agree with the approach of cooperation to get to the end game.

I would prefer to do these references at point of offer too. I am cashing in good will credits to get them and if the role doesn't come off it's myself that has to deal with repeated requests of peers/past-workers not the requestor.

Comment

Working...
                    X