• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

refuse perm offer advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refuse perm offer advice

Hi
    I'm about to reach the end of my 3 months initial contract and should get extension,but only after (I suspect) my line manager will offer me a perm position instead.
    What are the ways/answers to decline this elegantly and still keep the the extension offer of my current contract?
    Thanks

Politely
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Politely
      Oh yeah, great, if you get £120k a year plus bonus, car and ovvies.

Client will offer £25k and and you can take a work computer home a weekends and work for free!

Comment

Politely thank them but say you're not interested in a permanent position at this current moment in time. Just be honest with them

Comment

Just point out that you are a business in your own right and as such you turn over significantly more than a permy if the want to pay you the same as you take home now then you will consider it. When they come up with perks and the other usual crap say I'm not interested in them as the are eating into your take home

Comment

Originally posted by david1888 View Post
            What are the ways/answers to decline this elegantly and still keep the the extension offer of my current contract?
            Firstly, don't burst out laughing. Politely point out that if you wanted a permanent job you would have applied for one. If he persists ask him what's in it for you.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Maybe worth re-considering your IR35 position if the client believes the position was enduring and you were doing the work they expect a permie to as well....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ClientCo have a blanket HR policy of offering any contractor who's been there for 6 months a perm job.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Maybe worth re-considering your IR35 position if the client believes the position was enduring and you were doing the work they expect a permie to as well....
                  That's a good point. The gig that I consider my biggest IR35 risk is also the gig where the client at one point asked if I wanted to work for them as a permie. All in all, that's the gig that I hope I never get investigated upon, because I was wet behind the ears and definitely operated similar to a permie. Good few years ago mind.

In that example I said I was of course hugely flattered by their offer (I wasn't, the pay was low), but that I couldn't accept as I was dedicated to MyCo Ltd. Seemed to go down fine and I got an extension after that (admittedly only a 4 week one, but still).

Comment

My answer to this question as below. I also worked up a spreadsheet to demonstrate that as a contractor, over one year I was some £15k cheaper than the equivalent permie on their offered salary package. I didn't point out that I net £2k a month more than that permie.

OTOH, I'm out of work on Friday...

Sorry but I will not be taking up the offer of a permanent role. There are several reasons why, key of which are that I am a freelance by choice and that I am a highly experienced IT consultant with a 35 year history, mostly at a senior level, and would only consider a permanent role that matches that history. I am also at a point where I need the greater flexibility over pension provision and working hours that owning my own business affords: net income is not the issue, controlling 100% of my gross income is.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X