• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate (without a course)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    So you really think you can impose ITIL on a team of developers.......
    I'm afraid I don't (having worked on both sides of the fence) - but there definitely needs to be an awareness and consideration for the other's efficiencies and constraints (which was were I, albeit unofficially, came in).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Yes, you are making yourself look like a fool here. Try to read the thread before you post.

I responded to the SOA question that was posed - twice. I didn't raise the SOA discussion at all.

All clear now.

Great.
      Actually it is all clear - when I asked about SOA I meant 'Service Architecture', not 'Software Architecture' - my bad.

But then none of us are Enterprise Architects, are we?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Actually it is all clear - when I asked about SOA I meant 'Service Architecture', not 'Software Architecture' - my bad.

But then none of us are Enterprise Architects, are we?
        Ermmm...

But I stand by my original comment; the software (or the tin and wires) is not the service.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          You don't say..

Seriously, do you think I've been walking onto client sites for the last 30 years and just saying "buy product XYZ" and then invoicing them for £500k and walking away? I wish!

I've been delivering solutions all that time. And quite happily without ITIL.

And, as I quoted, I've the top books from the worlds best SOA experts sat on my hard drive. I've just searched them again for ITIL - and, once again, there is not a single mention of it in any of them. I guess the worlds best experts are all "wrong" too.

I guess so.
          Not really a question of being wrong ........ more a case of ITIL being a UK Public Sector standard

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
            Not really a question of being wrong ........ more a case of ITIL being a UK Public Sector standard
            That was the case 15 - 20 years ago but not now. It's international and the UK Government doesn't even own it anymore.

Comment

It really isn't that hard to acquire a working knowledge of ITIL. I've got years of technical consultancy on service management projects supporting ITIL processes under my belt and I've not bothered with either courses or qualifications, I've never been asked for them either, I just walk the walk and I don't seem to have a problem talking with the business, BAs, PMs or anyone else who understands the terminology and approach, which in my opinion a lot of people who have done the courses and have no real work experience actually don't.

Of course I'm "just a techie" though. If you want to spend your life in meetings with senior management and never actually touch a computer again things might be different.
              Last edited by doodab; 29 April 2014, 21:05.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Wrong.The technology is not the solution, the service is.
                It depends on the level you are working at. At the end of the day without the technology there is no service.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  It depends on the level you are working at. At the end of the day without the technology there is no service.
                  Not really, I view the processes, the tin and wires, WAN/LAN,code, cloud and everything as a gestalt. No piece is any more or less important than any other. The user only sees a single entity.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Not really, I view the processes, the tin and wires, WAN/LAN,code, cloud and everything as a gestalt. No piece is any more or less important than any other. The user only sees a single entity.
                    Yes, but you aren't working at a technical implementation level. The "service" view is largely irrelevant down there, at least until go-live, and even then it's more a case of jumping through whatever hoops the operations people have put in place rather than understanding ITIL per se.

At the end of the day without the technology there is no service. You can view all the technology as a whole, and say that's what makes up a service, but viewed like that the technology is the solution, just as the service is, because they are ultimately the same thing.

This is one problem I have found with pure ITIL process consultant types generally. They are very dismissive of actual technology despite the fact that without it their job wouldn't exist. Getting them to appreciate and communicate to the business the actual level of detail that needs to go into a CMDB, product catalogue or service catalogue to make it useful when you're doing an ITSM implementation can be a ******* nightmare, you usually end up having to do the job for them.
                    Last edited by doodab; 29 April 2014, 21:39.

Comment

Ermm, no. The point is we're here to serve the various departments and what they need to run their bit of the overall business, in a controlled and efficient way with the least necessary resources and at minimal risk. It's pointless debating things like the applications are more important, you may as well argue that nothing would work without BT and whoever supplies your local electricity or which geek in Seattle came up with the best variation of SQL.

ITIL describes the end-to end service. How that is delivered requires a host of teams working in their own corner with their own necessary methodology to deliver the whole. All I do is glue the bits together
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X