• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate (without a course)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Anyone outside pure code preparation that isn't using ITIL these days is in the wrong job. And coding - even the Agile nonsense - will sit inside an ITIL-based service wrap.
    Really?

For the record...

I've 30 years in IT, 26 of which have been as a contractor (unbroken run.) I've been working at Architect level since 1995.

I've worked for most of the world's biggest Retail Banks, Investment Banks, Credit Card Companies, News Agencies, TV Companies, Retailers and Travel Companies. I'm currently working on a huge project in The City as a Lead Architect (system has to support 350 million transactions per day at launch, and be shown to scale seamlessly to 3 billion transactions per day.)

I've never, ever used ITIL. I've never, ever been asked about it in any Architect interview.

Mind you, that's probably because all my clients are using that "Agile nonsense." (EDIT: and Agile is not just for "code preparation"; clearly you are misinformed.)

NB. Current Jobserve stats show Agile is in demand over twice as much as ITIL for contractors. And in the top three rate brackets, Agile outnumbers ITIL over 6 to 1.

Guess I must be in the wrong job.
    Last edited by nomadd; 28 April 2014, 20:29.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

I've never come across Agile in any of my roles in Infrastructure, however ITIL is omnipresent... Funny old world we work in!
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Really?

For the record...

I've 30 years in IT, 26 of which have been as a contractor (unbroken run.) I've been working at Architect level since 1995.

I've worked for most of the world's biggest Retail Banks, Investment Banks, Credit Card Companies, News Agencies, TV Companies, Retailers and Travel Companies. I'm currently working on a huge project in The City as a Lead Architect (system has to support 350 million transactions per day at launch, and be shown to scale seamlessly to 3 billion transactions per day.)

I've never, ever used ITIL. I've never, ever been asked about it in any Architect interview.

Mind you, that's probably because all my clients are using that "Agile nonsense." (EDIT: and Agile is not just for "code preparation"; clearly you are misinformed.)

NB. Current Jobserve stats show Agile is in demand over twice as much as ITIL for contractors. And in the top three rate brackets, Agile outnumbers ITIL over 6 to 1.

Guess I must be in the wrong job.
        So what framework have you been using for SOA? eTOM?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          I've never come across Agile in any of my roles in Infrastructure, however ITIL is omnipresent... Funny old world we work in!
          Indeed.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Isn't this really simple.

Agile - Development
            ITIL - Infrastructure / Day to Day Business as usual

Both supposedly ensure problems are identified and fixed early. Agile by allowing development to focus on immediate changes / removing development roadblocks.

ITIL by creating a consistent framework with hopefully a Kaizen improvement methodology to identify day to day improvements....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've worked on Agile, but in my experience that's software development/deployment (the 'project' side of the fence), but Agile and ITIL are not competitors - they both sit in the same organisation fulfilling different needs.

See this to get a better idea of how they work together: Agile Project and Service Management: delivering IT services using ITIL, PRINCE2 and DSDM Atern: Amazon.co.uk: Dorothy J Tudor, Office of Government Commerce (OGC): Books
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                So what framework have you been using for SOA? eTOM?
                UltraESB is the weapon of choice on the current gig. 29 West (now Informatica Ultra Messaging on prior gigs.) And IBM MQ/Broker before that... And Extricity before that... And countless others before that..

I've got Amazons top 5 SOA Architecture books on my hard drive. Not one of them mentions ITIL.

The SOA/Messaging is only a tiny part of the systems I design. The heart is HPC clusters - where the real work takes place.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I've worked on Agile, but in my experience that's software development/deployment (the 'project' side of the fence), but Agile and ITIL are not competitors - they both sit in the same organisation fulfilling different needs.

See this to get a better idea of how they work together: Agile Project and Service Management: delivering IT services using ITIL, PRINCE2 and DSDM Atern: Amazon.co.uk: Dorothy J Tudor, Office of Government Commerce (OGC): Books
                  Cheers. I'll take a look.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    UltraESB is the weapon of choice on the current gig. 29 West (now Informatica Ultra Messaging on prior gigs.) And IBM MQ/Broker before that... And Extricity before that... And countless others before that..

I've got Amazons top 5 SOA Architecture books on my hard drive. Not one of them mentions ITIL.

The SOA/Messaging is only a tiny part of the systems I design. The heart is HPC clusters - where the real work takes place.
                    Wrong.The technology is not the solution, the service is.

And FWIW I'm a solution/service architect working with major solutions providers. Clearly we shall have to agree to differ
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Wrong.The technology is not the solution, the service is.

And FWIW I'm a solution/service architect working with major solutions providers. Clearly we shall have to agree to differ
                      So you really think you can impose ITIL on a team of developers.......
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X