• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie contract: consultancy or sectorial business ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I should have posted into another forum, but I need the advise of senior contractors here.
    I am not really willing to go back to permie, but honestly after 4 months of applying to contract roles, it appears that nothing else than permie is available for my skills (i'm a BA) so I feel like I have to renew them.
    Got 2 offers as a permie (they won't hire me as a contractor) that are interesting because are SAP based and can potentially increase my knowledge in this lucrative skill.
    One offer is from a consultancy company (an elephant with 70.000 employees), the other one is from a sectorial business interested in logistics/supply chain.
    Having the desperate need of a job, which one will you chose ?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    Last edited by zerointeractive; 17 April 2013, 22:25.

Originally posted by zerointeractive View Post
    After 4 months of applying to contract roles, it appears that nothing else than permie is available for my skills (BA).
    Got 2 offers that are interesting because are SAP based and can potentially increase my knowledge in this lucrative skill.
    One offer is from a consultancy company (an elephant with 70.000 employees), the other one is from a sectorial business interested in logistics/supply chain.
    Having the desperate need of a job, which one will you chose ?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    As a contractor, which one would yield the best in terms of profit?

Comment

As a permie, which offers the best benefits and training?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Pick the job that doesn't require you to use the word advice IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd choose consultancy, it has similar model to the contractor kind of work, so you would still have the same attitude instead of settling in a permie for life, also most likely will give you exposure and experience with very good clients that would look good on your CV. You probably have a say on which project to go to and therefore could spend the time building a good portfolio.

In addition with consultancy one can get a lot of extras on on client site, e.g. travel expenses, per diem, lunches if, if they send you away stay in a good hotel, so you could use hotel facilities (e.g. gym/ spa etc) it all adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
            I'd choose consultancy, it has similar model to the contractor kind of work, so you would still have the same attitude instead of settling in a permie for life, also most likely will give you exposure and experience with very good clients that would look good on your CV. You probably have a say on which project to go to and therefore could spend the time building a good portfolio.

In addition with consultancy one can get a lot of extras on on client site , e.g. travel expenses, per diem, lunches if, if they send you away stay in a good hotel, so you could use hotel facilities (e.g. gym/ spa etc) it all adds up.
            Your experience of Permie life in a consultancy is very different to mine. Started at a good one got taken over then wallop all the nice bits above disappeared.

Take the job that is most likely to give you the experience you want. You can be sure you'll learn about x y and z in the sectorial business, in the consultancy you could end up being a BA at x because someone discovered you're arrived and they are a person short.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not sure how on earth we are supposed to make a decision bearing in mind we know nothing about you or what these two gigs are. It's your life, your job and your history. How about you grow some and make your own decision... or at least post some information to go on? It's just complete guesswork.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Not sure how on earth we are supposed to make a decision bearing in mind we know nothing about you or what these two gigs are. It's your life, your job and your history. How about you grow some and make your own decision... or at least post some information to go on? It's just complete guesswork.
                True, but guesswork works great in this case, because it is pure personal opinion.

To give you some additional info, I am a BA since 4 years and have in total 13 years experience in IT.
                Started as sw developer, grown into DBA and BI analyst, I have moved into more BA and had recently an ad-interim PM role, so I would prefer to stay in BA or PM roles rather than going back to coding. Even if this requires going back to permie.
                The problem is that the only contract roles I find are 9 out of 10 times based on SAP, which I don't know at all. Everything else are permie contracts.
                I have a 1-year child and a wife, and although I am not looking for stability (I don't believe in a job/company for my entire life) I need money

The consultancy giant offers meal vouchers, company car and an average salary, but is known to be a meat grinder. They recently became one of largest IT business consultancy firm in Europe after acquiring another well-known anglo-dutch multinational (some of you will recognize who they are).

The other offer came by a business that proclaims on their website to be the "world’s largest wholesale technology distributor and a global leader in IT supply-chain, mobile device lifecycle services and logistics solutions".
                The team is small (maybe less than 10 people) but they are working on supply chain and logistics on a global scale, that gives me more warranties in terms of technologies in use destination.
                The salary package does not contain a company car and the job may not be structured as the one in a consultancy company.

Comment

Don't see how a consultancy offers structure. They are going to put you onto a project to earn fees, what you think of the role on the project doesn't come into it. It's not like you are going to choose the project you want to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    It's not like you are going to choose the project you want to work on.
                    That is one of the most dangerous things to consider. The salary is lower though.

Comment

Working...
                    X