• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitted for gig without consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitted for gig without consent

One of my preferred agents called me a few weeks ago about a gig that's pretty perfect for me so the CV were submitted. Have been having communication with him over the last few weeks and today he called ClientCo for an update. He was told that his CV was the second the ClientCo had received regarding me so they can't give him any info.

I've trawled my email accounts and no mention of this role from any other agents. Can an agent use my permission i gave them a year ago to apply for a new role with the same company or a similar role with a different company? Would ClientCo be happy to divulge to dirty agent scum?

The week the job was released to the agents i was getting loads of calls asking me to apply but told them all they were too late. Are some agent that cheeky that they would submit anyway?

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
    One of my preferred agents called me a few weeks ago about a gig that's pretty perfect for me so the CV were submitted. Have been having communication with him over the last few weeks and today he called ClientCo for an update. He was told that his CV was the second the ClientCo had received regarding me so they can't give him any info.

I've trawled my email accounts and no mention of this role from any other agents. Can an agent use my permission i gave them a year ago to apply for a new role with the same company or a similar role with a different company? Would ClientCo be happy to divulge to dirty agent scum?

The week the job was released to the agents i was getting loads of calls asking me to apply but told them all they were too late. Are some agent that cheeky that they would submit anyway?
    If you are able to identify the offending organisation, you can contact them and ask them if they sought your permission to represent you for the role or if they assumed consent, and ask them to prove that they sought your presumed consent. If they don't have such proof, you can report it to their Data Protection Officer, and if after 28 days they don't respond or take corrective messures, you can inform the Data Protection Commissioner to report a breach of the Data Protection Act. I believe the Commissioner is able to fine an organisation up to, I think, £500,000 per breach. (The figures is pulled from my memory, and may be wrong).

If you are unable to ascertain who the other agent is, send an email to the preferred agent to state that you give them explicit permission to represent you for the role.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Why would an agent do this though? If the CV is that old the chances are you are not available. It has to be someone that knows you are available though surely? The chance of a random agent submitting your CV out of the blue to a client for a role you like is pretty slim (and pretty stupid if you are not available). Has to be more to this surely.....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why would an agent do this though? If the CV is that old the chances are you are not available. It has to be someone that knows you are available though surely? The chance of a random agent submitting your CV out of the blue to a client for a role you like is pretty slim (and pretty stupid if you are not available). Has to be more to this surely.....
        WHS
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          If you are able to identify the offending organisation, you can contact them and ask them if they sought your permission to represent you for the role or if they assumed consent, and ask them to prove that they sought your presumed consent. If they don't have such proof, you can report it to their Data Protection Officer, and if after 28 days they don't respond or take corrective messures, you can inform the Data Protection Commissioner to report a breach of the Data Protection Act. I believe the Commissioner is able to fine an organisation up to, I think, £500,000 per breach. (The figures is pulled from my memory, and may be wrong).

If you are unable to ascertain who the other agent is, send an email to the preferred agent to state that you give them explicit permission to represent you for the role.
          If the Clientco will not tell you, put in a subject access request undertone the DPA.

Or just phone the Clientco and politely explain. But I guess this one is gone.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Nope - the poster may have had the misfortune of uncovering a rogue agent. I've dealt with one before but they used my data differently from this.

The agent may have:
            1. Got the poster's CV when they answered an ad with their agency or related agency for another role,
            2. Downloaded it from a job board (but most don't pay for that privilege).
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's sucky. Can you contact the client directly and say only your preferred agent is authorised to represent you? Might be worth a call directly to them.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

YES. You told a competing agent, who we can assume had your CV already, that u were already in for client co.

They then have tried to take you out by submitting you as well before the preferred agency even submitted you in the hope client co would discount you to avoid hassle deciding over which agent had first dibs.

Comment

Find out who the contact at the client co is approach them directly to ask who submitted your CV and tell them that the agency had no right to represent you.

Then find out who the client's preferred agency is and send your CV to them to represent you....
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

In ~2001, a rather aggressive S3 company submitted CVs to us for a position we had. We chose two to interview. Neither turned up. Later, we discovered that neither candidate was even aware they'd been put forward.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X