• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Submitted for gig without consent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had this situation once. The agent who had put me in first, without my permission, was quite open and unapologetic. He had, he said, called me but been unable to get in touch, so he had left a message, and because of time pressure had gone on to submit me anyway. He strongly implied it was my fault for not checking my messages, and he couldn't be expected to miss an opportunity because of that.

Also, he put me in at 2/3 of my normal minimum rate! So even if priority could be sorted out, the client was not willing to tolerate (as they saw it) the rate jumping by 50% as soon as they showed any interest in me.

Also ISTM that the 2nd agency had some lingering doubts about me after I had assured them that mobody else had put me in for this one.

Result: nobody talking to anybody any more. Except that the first agency kept calling me for months with great opportunities but unfortunately it would be necessary to make a bit of an effort on the rate.... took me ages to shake them off.
    Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 24 October 2012, 06:52.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Agent is going to clientco today to try and get something sorted. If that fails i'll call the HR lady myself, if that fails the head of department i'd be working for added me to linkedin last week (coincidence?).

All my agents know i'm in a rolling 6 month contract and would only move for a much better location, this gig is 10 miles from home, spent 6 years there as a permie. So i wouldn't be surprised if one of them submitted without letting me know. Just hope that the CV that was used isn't too old as my current gig is the most important section regarding selection and rate.

Comment

Just becareful causing a fuss. Clients use agents to get rid of the hassles so multiple agents fighting over a contractor who is ringing them direct is not what they want. It wouldn't be surprising if they washed their hands of the whole affair and went for someone new. Crossed fingers they won't but it has happened.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't want to push to far and already thinking that if ClientCo were interested i'd have said dodgy agent on the phone making up some BS story about how i should apply and miraculously get an interview the same day. I would really like to find out who this was so i can stop this situation repeating itself in the future and maybe cause **** features a few moments of panic.

Comment

Since as NLUK says they might just want to steer clear, I see you might as well ask them who it was and tell them which agent they can talk to. At least you will know, and can make sure to tell said agent exactly what you think about them.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

There is nothing to stop it happening in the future.

All you can do is take the agent to task now and I suggest you do.

Do the what the others suggested in terms of the Data Protection Act however make sure you send all your letters by recorded signed for post in case you have to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've managed to find out that it was one of my 3 favoured agencies that submitted without consent. Don't want to burn too many bridges as they're a go to agent for many clientco's so long term not in my interest to fly off. Have started with a "i can't recall talking to you about this role" email just in case my memories failing me.

Thanks for the responses. I was looking forward to a fight with a Agent Bob or Lord Sugars Lapdog

Comment

Agent just said "don't worry, i understand it's easy for you to forget"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Why would an agent do this though? If the CV is that old the chances are you are not available. It has to be someone that knows you are available though surely? The chance of a random agent submitting your CV out of the blue to a client for a role you like is pretty slim (and pretty stupid if you are not available). Has to be more to this surely.....
                    Cock blocking maybe?

An agent sends in 3 CV's, the person he wants to get the gig (maybe because they have a good cut) and two randoms who he thinks might be suitable in the hope of taking out the competition.

Don't forget some agents can be pretty scummy
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoi View Post
                      Agent just said "don't worry, i understand it's easy for you to forget"
                      I understand why you might not want to rock the boat too much, but you need to at least make it clear that it's not your memory, and that in future you only wish to give written confirmation of going for a role, otherwise what's to stop them from doing it again? If they carry on like that, I bet they'll soon drop out of your top 3 list...

Comment

Working...
                      X