• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Ideal" Contractor CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ideal" Contractor CV

Hi All,

I know there are a lot of companies specializing in tailoring your CV for contracting, but I always did it myself and apart from short patches I have always got giggs. So its not like the how to write a CV, but I wanted to get some opinions of you experienced lot on how your CV "looks" like. More an open discussion than anything else.

Like in the past I have tried the "shorter" version, whereby I would detail the last 4 roles and the rest just a small point summary, however I have found that the longer version normally has more success. By longer I mean point details on the technologies I have used in the role, and also how I have "helped" the client I was working for. However this version now is about 8 pages considering I have been contracting for the last 8 years.

Would love your opinion on this.

Our opinions are here: 'CV format site:forums.contractoruk.com'
    We've given them many, many times.

More details here CUK Netiquette for Newbies
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The longer one is more "successful" becuase it has more keywords in it. You don't think the agency actually reads them any more, do you?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

8 Pages!!!??

Can someone explain what people think when they believe an 8 page CV is acceptable? It goes against absolutely everything you are taught about CV's and even the definition of a CV! I would argue if you think an 8 page CV is acceptable you are not thinking about the audience and purpose of your CV which in turn would generally not make you a good applicant for the job...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

8 page cv = bin.

I can go through 3 or 4 other cvs in the time it would take me to trawl through an 8 pager.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

It amuses me now days how some people leave their age off their CV. So you have to literally count back from their education years. All a bit pointless. If people dont want to employ someone of a particular age (and this could be younger or older) , they arent going to just because you left it off.

Comment

3 page max, I've been recruiting for devs recently.. I only care about the first couple pages anyway. I agree 8 pages = bin

My CV has 4-5 bullet points with short description for the past 4 contracts, then it slowly goes down to less bullet points just covering the cool stuff I did there.

Comment

I do agree that 3 page max, but find it hard to cram everything into 2 pages, given that the first page is always skills and achievements. Granted I do list all the projects I have worked on in the last 7 years, recent ones more in detail. I should be more brief about the previous contracts.

Had a friend once who used to send his CV in light yellow paper so that it stands out

Just cool to get your opinions though.

Comment

Originally posted by JohannM View Post
                  I do agree that 3 page max, but find it hard to cram everything into 2 pages, given that the first page is always skills and achievements. Granted I do list all the projects I have worked on in the last 7 years, recent ones more in detail. I should be more brief about the previous contracts.

Had a friend once who used to send his CV in light yellow paper so that it stands out

Just cool to get your opinions though.
                  Question for you then.... Do you think the agent is interested in all the skills and achievments you have that are not relevant to the role he has? DO you even think he understands them?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Question for you then.... Do you think the agent is interested in all the skills and achievments you have that are not relevant to the role he has? DO you even think he understands them?
                    Yeah by skills I mean recent and relevant skills, being a .NET developer there is a lot of skills. But yeah agreed should tailor the CV more to the job spec. I also list them in a table (skill-years exp) format to make them more readable which do take more space

Comment

Working...
                    X