Welcome to CUK!
If you have been lurking around CUK (and if you haven't I would recommend a glance in the professional forums AND General) you might have noticed one or two of the regular become a tad tetchy (or from your point of view, rude) over some of the threads that newbies have been posting lately. This might have stopped you from posting your own question for fear of getting flamed the same way.
Actually if you look more closely at many of the threads asking similar questions, you might also have noticed that this is not always the case. We will give full, helpful and occasionally encouraging advice without (apparent) rhyme or reason.
So I thought that I’d break it down to encourage newbies to ask questions without the regulars resorting to or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYOAiCf-80 or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxwnPjB0U
- The request/question. Generally the question can be broad general (“How are you finding the market?”), broad personal (“I need help with my CV”) or specific personal (“I gave my CV to an agent who changed it before sending it the client, what should I do?”). Decide which type is yours.
- First look at the First-timers guide on this website; this ought to give you much of your initial information.
- If your question is broad, first read the page of the forum you’re in – you’ll be amazed at how many general CV threads are started within minutes of each other – we can see that posters haven’t bothered looking. That irritates us.
- If your question is slightly different, start a new thread that says "I've read in <original thread> blah, but I have a slightly different question..."
- Now try your luck and use Search in both the forum and on the home page – you still might find what you are looking for.
- If nothing comes up, now post your question (we can generally tell by the question whether you’ve done the 1st 4 steps, but not always so mention that you've looked.)
- If your question is specific personal (such as the Grievance question in Accounts/Legal) – ask away. We will always try to help with these.
So basically, we will help where we can but we dislike lazy posting. If you find the above steps too much of a hassle, you deserve all you get.
PS - Using Google to search CUK:
1) Just add "site:forums.contractoruk.com" at the end of your search terms, and it will only look on here. (Ta, FAQQer).
2) To specify a particular forum add site:forums.contractoruk.com/forum-name eg "site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts" (Ta, NickFitz).