• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Netiquette: A guide for newbies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Give as good as you get and you'll be fine. Think of it as contractor training.

Hugs.

qh
    Aaaah - an "Induction", well why didn't anyone tell me , off to change into armour and get ready
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
      Aaaah - an "Induction", well why didn't anyone tell me , off to change into armour and get ready
      Head over to light relief for hugs and love.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Head over to light relief for hugs and love.
        or here if you don't do that namby pamby stuff and like a bit of the rough stuff
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Head over to tpd for hugs and love.
          FTFY as the rest of light relief is more a resting place for failed general insults and
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you this is a really good guide, it can be intimidating joining a new forum especially one with such "banter" and so many fascinating and interesting characters such as this one. I will be sure to search the forum before asking any questions which may have been asked dozens, or even hundreds of thousands of times before.

Comment

Originally posted by IR36Contractor View Post
              Thank you this is a really good guide, it can be intimidating joining a new forum especially one with such "banter" and so many fascinating and interesting characters such as this one. I will be sure to search the forum before asking any questions which may have been asked dozens, or even hundreds of thousands of times before.
              Someone else scared off then from the chimes coming out from the CUK community

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Someone else scared off then from the chimes coming out from the CUK community
                I don't think so. The post had a flurry of posts in March and had barely got out of moderation before he stopped.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

First Timers Guide Link not working (HTTP error 404)

Obviously the link provided in the post I am replying to, not tried eventual other links

Comment

Originally posted by enrico200165 View Post
                    Obviously the link provided in the post I am replying to, not tried eventual other links
                    Well spotted! Edited now.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I submitted a reply and got nothing back?? Is my reply stuck in limbo???

?????

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Welcome to CUK!

If you have been lurking around CUK (and if you haven't I would recommend a glance in the professional forums AND General) you might have noticed one or two of the regular become a tad tetchy (or from your point of view, rude) over some of the threads that newbies have been posting lately. This might have stopped you from posting your own question for fear of getting flamed the same way.

Actually if you look more closely at many of the threads asking similar questions, you might also have noticed that this is not always the case. We will give full, helpful and occasionally encouraging advice without (apparent) rhyme or reason.

So I thought that I’d break it down to encourage newbies to ask questions without the regulars resorting to or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYOAiCf-80 or even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxwnPjB0U
                      1. The request/question. Generally the question can be broad general (“How are you finding the market?”), broad personal (“I need help with my CV”) or specific personal (“I gave my CV to an agent who changed it before sending it the client, what should I do?”). Decide which type is yours.
                      2. First look at the First-timers guide on this website; this ought to give you much of your initial information.
                      3. If your question is broad, first read the page of the forum you’re in – you’ll be amazed at how many general CV threads are started within minutes of each other – we can see that posters haven’t bothered looking. That irritates us.
                      4. If your question is slightly different, start a new thread that says "I've read in <original thread> blah, but I have a slightly different question..."
                      5. Now try your luck and use Search in both the forum and on the home page – you still might find what you are looking for.
                      6. If nothing comes up, now post your question (we can generally tell by the question whether you’ve done the 1st 4 steps, but not always so mention that you've looked.)
                      7. If your question is specific personal (such as the Grievance question in Accounts/Legal) – ask away. We will always try to help with these.

So basically, we will help where we can but we dislike lazy posting. If you find the above steps too much of a hassle, you deserve all you get.

HTH

PS - Using Google to search CUK:
                      1) Just add "site:forums.contractoruk.com" at the end of your search terms, and it will only look on here. (Ta, FAQQer).
                      2) To specify a particular forum add site:forums.contractoruk.com/forum-name eg "site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts" (Ta, NickFitz).

Comment

Working...
                      X