• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime rate, Nothing in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecc83 View Post
    Maybe it's just me but regular working hours and/or mandated extra overtime is for permies. Do you have a schedule of deliverables? If you're tracking on time, no need to work extra. If you're behind, and it's your fault, make up the time yourself. If they want to bring a deadline forward... then negotiate. Something like that.
    A manager higher up the chain picked an arbitrary date and promised various people interested it will be ready then. Since then it has been reduced to a crippled product to fit this deadline. Now they are adding back needed functionality. It's a disaster hence my unwillingness to extend. I will say no to them as they knocked back my overtime rate level.

Comment

Originally posted by ecc83 View Post
      What are the extra hours for? So they can exert more D+C?
      No, the client engages the services of the consultant company for x days at y hours per day for z months. If they want more hours than that worked then the consultant company is going to charge extra. There is no change to the amount of direction and control exerted.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        A manager higher up the chain picked an arbitrary date and promised various people interested it will be ready then.
        Not your problem.

If as a manager you are stupid enough to promise dates for delivery, then you need to be clear with the people who are going to deliver your product what the target date is from the start.

If you keep people in the dark who are doing the work then expect them to be sh*tty if you just throw a deadline on them, particularly if you aren't flexible about working practises.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Overtime!? 1.5 times hourly rate!?

Are these people supposed to be permie's or contractors!?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            A manager higher up the chain picked an arbitrary date and promised various people interested it will be ready then. Since then it has been reduced to a crippled product to fit this deadline. Now they are adding back needed functionality. It's a disaster hence my unwillingness to extend. I will say no to them as they knocked back my overtime rate level.
            Slightly different. If the deadline is caused by piss poor planning by the client then I'd agree with you. Stuff them.

I'm same here - I dont put myself out if the issue is caused by piss poor organisation. If its a proper operational emergency thats different.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              No, the client engages the services of the consultant company for x days at y hours per day for z months. If they want more hours than that worked then the consultant company is going to charge extra. There is no change to the amount of direction and control exerted.
              Depends if hours are stated on contract rather than professional working day surely? This causes ambiguity surely as to what constitutes a working day......
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Overtime!? 1.5 times hourly rate!?

Are these people supposed to be permie's or contractors!?
                They are contractors, no "supposed" about it. As contractors they are running businesses and will do what they can to make mutually rewarding agreements with their customers in respect of charge out rates for additional hours and/or work packages etc.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  They are contractors, no "supposed" about it. As contractors they are running businesses and will do what they can to make mutually rewarding agreements with their customers in respect of charge out rates for additional hours and/or work packages etc.

Boo
                  It's a grey area for me - if you are an independent contractor charging direct to the client, then by all means tag on your own terms for out of hours/on demand fees.

Working through an agency is a little different, as you are less in control of your rate.

Completely understand where OP is coming from though.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

Boo
                    Yeah right, believe that if you wish. I'd love to hear what they say to the tax inspector when under an IR35 investigation!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Yeah right, believe that if you wish. I'd love to hear what they say to the tax inspector when under an IR35 investigation!
                      Well to use the analogy Hector is fond of using; compare the difference in cost of arranging for a plumber to visit your house three weeks in advance at 2.30 in the afternoon and calling him out at 2.00 am on a Sunday morning.

Premiums for callouts/unsociable hours are perfectly acceptable busuiness practices.

Comment

Working...
                      X