• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Overtime rate, Nothing in contract"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    I think I had a few days sick a few months ago and holiday etc that meant there would be good few days left on the budget left after my end date, so think he is trying to get them "spent". I reckon it will be 4-5 days over the next month then back to normal.
    Nice. Guess that is a for you then.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sounds like a nice outcome! Not having read all the thread again can I just ask, although you have an agreement in place to pay for extra hours, is the client aware you are going to purposely work these extra hours regularly or does he think this is an adhoc arrangement to be used from time to time to fix problems? I ask as normally clients have you in a budget somewhere, working the extra hours regularly is going to put a strain on his budget making you a target at the very least?
    I think I had a few days sick a few months ago and holiday etc that meant there would be good few days left on the budget left after my end date, so think he is trying to get them "spent". I reckon it will be 4-5 days over the next month then back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Update is I accepted the 1x rate for extra hours. I will attempt to to an extra day a week. Also got extended and negotiated working from home a day a week.
    Sounds like a nice outcome! Not having read all the thread again can I just ask, although you have an agreement in place to pay for extra hours, is the client aware you are going to purposely work these extra hours regularly or does he think this is an adhoc arrangement to be used from time to time to fix problems? I ask as normally clients have you in a budget somewhere, working the extra hours regularly is going to put a strain on his budget making you a target at the very least?

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Update is I accepted the 1x rate for extra hours. I will attempt to to an extra day a week. Also got extended and negotiated working from home a day a week.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    However, if they want me to do 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for two weeks then I'll charge them extra. Now if someone would like to come up with a suggestion for how to charge the client for extra hours without it setting off the forum's ultra sensitive IR35 detector then I'd be interested to hear it
    It's ultra sensitive as most people are not aware of the finer points so have to go to the letter to get the situation corrected and to instill the need for this type of thinking in the poster.

You are an old head and know the risks and your situation. In your case I would say do what you need to regardless of IR35. You are most likely covered in every other situation so stretching it in another area won't kill you. You are also experienced enough to come up with something clever.

I don't think we can give you an answer that will work for you TBH..

FYI I would agree to a fixed amount and put a line in the invoice additional services required or something. 10 hours a day for 5 days, thats 10 hours over. Split the diff to 8 hours and request a payment of about a day. Whether your client would accept that retrospectively is another question.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Depends if hours are stated on contract rather than professional working day surely? This causes ambiguity surely as to what constitutes a working day......
    OK, I'm on a daily rate and I do an average of 7-8 hours a day. If they want me to do a 10+ hour day some time then that's no problem, I'll do that too. Other days I'll work slightly less than normal. It evens out, I'm not going to make a fuss about it because I'm on a day rate not an hourly one.

However, if they want me to do 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for two weeks then I'll charge them extra. Now if someone would like to come up with a suggestion for how to charge the client for extra hours without it setting off the forum's ultra sensitive IR35 detector then I'd be interested to hear it.

The bottom line though is that I'm a business man, my time is money and don't work for free, it's as simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    Well to use the analogy Hector is fond of using; compare the difference in cost of arranging for a plumber to visit your house three weeks in advance at 2.30 in the afternoon and calling him out at 2.00 am on a Sunday morning.

Premiums for callouts/unsociable hours are perfectly acceptable busuiness practices.
    It has nothing to do with an analogy. BB is rightly pointing out the fact we are discussing overtime and 1.5x. It quite rightly makes you sound like a permie. A business does not deal in overtime or 1.5x. The plumber doesn't go on about overtime or 1.5x this and so on. Do a deal on the costs, don't use permie terms. That's all. No one has a problem it costs more etc, just word it/deal with it like a business. Set a value of day rate for x days is £xxxx or sell some call off days and so on.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    Well to use the analogy Hector is fond of using; compare the difference in cost of arranging for a plumber to visit your house three weeks in advance at 2.30 in the afternoon and calling him out at 2.00 am on a Sunday morning.

Premiums for callouts/unsociable hours are perfectly acceptable busuiness practices.
    Agreed. It's not overtime.

It's chargeable fee outside of agreed contract.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Yeah right, believe that if you wish. I'd love to hear what they say to the tax inspector when under an IR35 investigation!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    They are contractors, no "supposed" about it. As contractors they are running businesses and will do what they can to make mutually rewarding agreements with their customers in respect of charge out rates for additional hours and/or work packages etc.

Boo
    Yeah right, believe that if you wish. I'd love to hear what they say to the tax inspector when under an IR35 investigation!

Leave a comment:

• Vandalay
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    They are contractors, no "supposed" about it. As contractors they are running businesses and will do what they can to make mutually rewarding agreements with their customers in respect of charge out rates for additional hours and/or work packages etc.

Boo
    It's a grey area for me - if you are an independent contractor charging direct to the client, then by all means tag on your own terms for out of hours/on demand fees.

Working through an agency is a little different, as you are less in control of your rate.

Completely understand where OP is coming from though.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Overtime!? 1.5 times hourly rate!?

Are these people supposed to be permie's or contractors!?

Boo

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    No, the client engages the services of the consultant company for x days at y hours per day for z months. If they want more hours than that worked then the consultant company is going to charge extra. There is no change to the amount of direction and control exerted.
    Depends if hours are stated on contract rather than professional working day surely? This causes ambiguity surely as to what constitutes a working day......

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    A manager higher up the chain picked an arbitrary date and promised various people interested it will be ready then. Since then it has been reduced to a crippled product to fit this deadline. Now they are adding back needed functionality. It's a disaster hence my unwillingness to extend. I will say no to them as they knocked back my overtime rate level.
    Slightly different. If the deadline is caused by piss poor planning by the client then I'd agree with you. Stuff them.

I'm same here - I dont put myself out if the issue is caused by piss poor organisation. If its a proper operational emergency thats different.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Overtime!? 1.5 times hourly rate!?

Are these people supposed to be permie's or contractors!?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X