• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client slow with renewals - look for something else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    What everyone else think?
    If you are desperate to stay in work, look around for other roles from 5-6 weeks out. Only thing you can do with a slow client. If they lose you, that's their problem.

My current client is terrible at sorting renewals out. Mind you, I'm not that fussed about jumping into a new role, so I just chill out and see what happens. So far, they've always - finally - managed to get it sorted. Still, they've renewed 4 times so far and still haven't got any quicker at it!
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
      This is the case with me as well. The only difference is that I've got another role lined up for next 2 months starting 4th Jan. So when the line manager tells he wants me to sign the extension; all I say is "Sorry, too late. I've already committed myself to another role. But I will be available end of February, if you want me to come back, you have my contact details; just get in touch and I will be more than happy to be of any further assistance."

Politeness will always work.
      HTH.
      Dave.
      Are you definitely not going to re-sign the extention? If not it would be more professional/polite to advise him now. He could be pretty put out you kept this from him when you knew you were going to get an extension/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you definitely not going to re-sign the extention? If not it would be more professional/polite to advise him now. He could be pretty put out you kept this from him when you knew you were going to get an extension/
        I've always made a point to let him know, that I am not available for certain period of the day and the reason behind it to be an interview as well. So he knows I am appearing for interviews. So far, I haven't had a signed contract, so am keeping my mouth shut. The moment I get the signature on the dotted line, I would let my agent know, that I am not renewing and will let them sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          If you are desperate to stay in work, look around for other roles from 5-6 weeks out. Only thing you can do with a slow client. If they lose you, that's their problem.

My current client is terrible at sorting renewals out. Mind you, I'm not that fussed about jumping into a new role, so I just chill out and see what happens. So far, they've always - finally - managed to get it sorted. Still, they've renewed 4 times so far and still haven't got any quicker at it!
          Do you know they will have to extend and budget is there etc so it is a done deal or is it really a decision that could go either way?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Do you know they will have to extend and budget is there etc so it is a done deal or is it really a decision that could go either way?
            Oh, mine could easily go each way at the renewals. I just choose not to get too stressed about it. Let's face it, in the current economy you could send yourself crazy over what might happen.

Had a phone call from a fellow contractor mate of mine last week: one of the contractors on-site had lost his girlfriend, and then been told his contract wasn't being renewed beyond Christmas. Next thing they know, the police turn up on-site to inform the client that the guy has committed suicide. My mate didn't know his exact age, but estimated 28-35. That kinda puts things in perspective for you. Very, very sad.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Two weeks away from renewal, I advise that I will be looking to round things off to hand over at contract completion as I don't want to leave things in a mess.

Comment

I assume I am going to be looking elsewhere until I have signed on the dotted line.

Comment

Yeh. In my case, it seems 99% that I'm going to be renewed. However, never say deffo is what I think especially when the client is having permie cost cutting measures and the ultimate budget is OKed by some bean counters in another country..... One good thing is that the project I work on is the clients big flagship money earner and theres plenty of work left to do on that. They'd be screwed without any contractors.

But, it never ceases to amaze me, how laid back some clients are with this. Leave it until days before and assume I'm going to renew. In the past, I've had a quick look, but not really applied for too much, because I'm happy where I am, but whats to say I'll not stumble across something cracking for more money?

Surely, if the client had got their arse into gear and got the agent to lob a contract under my nose with 4 weeks left then their getting in first before I've even had any thoughts about alternatives? Dont they even realise that 5 days before Xmas I might be somewhat keen to get something sorted for 2012?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Never EVER turn up on site without a signed contract. Quite apart from anything else the client is under no obligation to pay you.

If they've not put extension paperwork in front of you, assume you will not be renewed. This is a business relationship.

I've seen someone with a similar attitude assume they'd be renewed and try to throw their weight around. At the end of their contract the client just said, "Bye then."
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                      Never EVER turn up on site without a signed contract. Quite apart from anything else the client is under no obligation to pay you.

If they've not put extension paperwork in front of you, assume you will not be renewed. This is a business relationship.

I've seen someone with a similar attitude assume they'd be renewed and try to throw their weight around. At the end of their contract the client just said, "Bye then."
                      I know what you mean. But by not turning up you're:-

1) Causing bad vibes (even though it is the clients/agents own fault admitedly)
                      2) Causing yourself unpaid days off sitting at home when you dont want to be.

But, like you said, no contract = no pay possibly...

If it doesnt get sorted this week, then come Jan 3rd or whatever I'll be phoning client/agent at 9am and telling them to sort it out before I come in.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X