• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client slow with renewals - look for something else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    At least I could never ever appear to be as much of a grumpy tulip as you.....

BTW - wheres my Xmas card?
    Only permies send xmas cards to each other.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nice one client. Told unofficially that contract would be sorted but that paperwork wouldn't be done until 2nd week of Jan.

So they expect me to rock up on site with no contract in the new year until they can be bothered to sort it out....

I can see this ending badly. If I refuse to turn up then I look bad because I'm being awkward. If I show up then its a really stupid thing to do.

FFS. I've given both client and agency weeks to sort this out but its now officially 9 days before end of contract with Xmas in between and no-one has sorted it out.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Nice one client. Told unofficially that contract would be sorted but that paperwork wouldn't be done until 2nd week of Jan.

So they expect me to rock up on site with no contract in the new year until they can be bothered to sort it out....

I can see this ending badly. If I refuse to turn up then I look bad because I'm being awkward. If I show up then its a really stupid thing to do.

FFS. I've given both client and agency weeks to sort this out but its now officially 9 days before end of contract with Xmas in between and no-one has sorted it out.
        Just tell the client you are taking a holiday between the end of the contract and the renewal start date. If they kick up a fuss, tell them to sort it out sooner.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Can't you just get what he told you in an email and also confirm he is happy for you to turn up on the first day back. That way you have a verbal agreement and by turning up you have an implied contract with the same conditions of the last one.

Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Just tell the client you are taking a holiday between the end of the contract and the renewal start date. If they kick up a fuss, tell them to sort it out sooner.
            For some reason, client seems to think a verbal agreement that they're going to extend is sufficient for them to sort it out when they see fit!!!!!

Comment

For some reason, client seems to think a verbal agreement that they're going to extend is sufficient for them to sort it out when they see fit!!!!!
              If you can get a witness to that then it is really, even better in writing. Verbal agreement is binding, as is the implied contract (I think that is the term).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Can't you just get what he told you in an email and also confirm he is happy for you to turn up on the first day back. That way you have a verbal agreement and by turning up you have an implied contract with the same conditions of the last one.

Sorted.
                Hmm. Doesn't this contradict previous advice where most people say no contract no show? Or are you being sarcastic again?

I agree an email is better than nothing I suppose but not ideal. Not sure if I'd be happy with this.

Trouble is its a decent gig, close to home, likely to run for a bit. Only problem is their piss poor attitude to renewals. If I kick off about this now, then there's a strong possibility that this might be the end of it. Their fault totally but how far do you bend? How far do you give client the benefit of the doubt?

Must admit last time I was contracting renewals were never a problem. I guess it could be this client.

Would be interested in other peoples experiences of this sort of behaviour? What did you do etc?

Comment

Hmm. Doesn't this contradict previous advice where most people say no contract no show? Or are you being sarcastic again?

I agree an email is better than nothing I suppose but not ideal. Not sure if I'd be happy with this.

Trouble is its a decent gig, close to home, likely to run for a bit. Only problem is their piss poor attitude to renewals. If I kick off about this now, then there's a strong possibility that this might be the end of it. Their fault totally but how far do you bend? How far do you give client the benefit of the doubt?

Must admit last time I was contracting renewals were never a problem. I guess it could be this client.

Would be interested in other peoples experiences of this sort of behaviour? What did you do etc?
                  A contract is a contract, be it on a piece of paper, written on the side of a cow or given verbally.
                  Get an email from the client saying they are extending your contract, job done.

Comment

Is this an African IB?

Comment

Jesus, are you this bad at work? Let me explain it nice and simply for you..

The previous advice is still good... No contract = no show. You got that bit..

Now you tell us the guy has said he will extend you... You now have a contract albeit verbal and not without it is risks so up to you whether you turn in or not. Getting something in writing would be infinitely better.

It is that simple... really...

Comment

Working...
                      X