• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client slow with renewals - look for something else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFS It's really not that tricky, people have told you loads of times what to do. Say to the agent, "My insurance does not cover me being onsite without a valid contract. I have spoken to the underwriters and they, and I, are happy to take an email from you as notice that the contract will continue on the same terms until a more formal document can be established."

Or if you want to be super paranoid tell the client that as your insurance won't cover you without a signed contract, you'll be either on holiday or working from home until the contract is ready.... and then keep applying for other stuff anyway.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Hmm. Doesn't this contradict previous advice where most people say no contract no show? Or are you being sarcastic again?

I agree an email is better than nothing I suppose but not ideal. Not sure if I'd be happy with this.

Trouble is its a decent gig, close to home, likely to run for a bit. Only problem is their piss poor attitude to renewals. If I kick off about this now, then there's a strong possibility that this might be the end of it. Their fault totally but how far do you bend? How far do you give client the benefit of the doubt?

Must admit last time I was contracting renewals were never a problem. I guess it could be this client.

Would be interested in other peoples experiences of this sort of behaviour? What did you do etc?
      Personally, I would get a written confirmation of intent with permission to invoice if the renewal falls through, before setting foot on site. I don't know from an Insurance point of view if you are covered if a renewal isn't in place, and would ask how you will be covered in terms of liability, etc.
      Last edited by pmeswani; 21 December 2011, 16:49. Reason: Spelling correction.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Jesus, are you this bad at work? Let me explain it nice and simply for you..

The previous advice is still good... No contract = no show. You got that bit..

Now you tell us the guy has said he will extend you... You now have a contract albeit verbal and not without it is risks so up to you whether you turn in or not. Getting something in writing would be infinitely better.

It is that simple... really...
        No mate - Im a genius at work !!!!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In the same position

I'm in the same position, renewal promised but not yet arrived. I won't be going in until I have renewal from the agent - the reason for this is the contract between MyCo and Agent says I will only be paid if they are in receipt of an signed extension acceptance from MyCo, which has been issued by the agent.

So even if I had an e-mail from ClientCo saying yes, under the terms of the existing contract between MyCo and Agent I'm not guaranteed be paid.

Maybe worth checking your current contract before deciding to go in.

Comment

Yes, exactly. Contract is with agency not client so I've decided that its their responsibility.
            I've asked them to put something in place temporarily until client gets it sorted so they can take the risk on-board.

Clients fault mainly because I did highlight this weeks ago and no-one has been arsed to sort it out. Not that agent are blameless because they should have made more effort to sort this out.

Weird thing is I've got tons of work to do as well. 75% of the team is contractors and everyone is out of contract on the same day and they haven't sorted it out. Defies belief it really does - already things are behind with deliveries to their customer which, apparently, is costing shedloads in penalty clauses, yet they introduce a further risk by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagara View Post
              Is this an African IB?
              Nope.

Comment

You couldn't make it up. Getting serious grief off PMs to do them a favour and come in between Xmas and New Year to get some urgent work done.

Ummm. Client do me a favour and get the bloody extension sorted. Not exactly putting me in the mood to be helpful at the moment.

But then again, if its potentially the end of things why not get a few more billable days in?

Comment

You couldn't make it up. Getting serious grief off PMs to do them a favour and come in between Xmas and New Year to get some urgent work done.

Ummm. Client do me a favour and get the bloody extension sorted. Not exactly putting me in the mood to be helpful at the moment.

But then again, if its potentially the end of things why not get a few more billable days in?
                  Well, without proof that the client has agreed to pay you if the contract extension falls through or that their insurance policy will cover you if things go belly up, there is no billable days. If you go in without any evidence of the client prepared to pay you, you are effectively working for free. If something goes wrong, who will end up paying the costs? As you don't have any contract extension in place, you will be high on the list. Sorry for being cynical, but without the protection and extension in place, you are setting yourself up for a big fall.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                    Well, without proof that the client has agreed to pay you if the contract extension falls through or that their insurance policy will cover you if things go belly up, there is no billable days. If you go in without any evidence of the client prepared to pay you, you are effectively working for free. If something goes wrong, who will end up paying the costs? As you don't have any contract extension in place, you will be high on the list. Sorry for being cynical, but without the protection and extension in place, you are setting yourself up for a big fall.
                    Sorry. To clarify - current contract expires Dec 31st so days between Xmas and New Year would be covered by existing contract.

My point is I wasnt planning to work this but they've asked me to as a favour and work these days. So I would get paid.

Comment

Sorry. To clarify - current contract expires Dec 31st so days between Xmas and New Year would be covered by existing contract.

My point is I wasnt planning to work this but they've asked me to as a favour and work these days. So I would get paid.
                      Sorry, I misunderstood your previous posts.

If your contract ends on the 31st, unless you have pre-arranged time off with the client between Chrimbo and New Year, you should work during that time, unless something more pressing comes up that prevents you from doing the work. At the end of the day, unless you have good reason, why turn down the opportunity to fill your warchest?

Comment

Working...
                      X