• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client slow with renewals - look for something else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    You couldn't make it up.
    You don't need to make it up. Most of us have been through something similar or have seen it happen. It isn't uncommon and it certainly isn't a cross only you have to bare, particularly the late renewals. The difference is most people take as part and parcel of the job and get on with it rather than causing a huge drama. From what I see it isn't just the client that is adding to the problem here. I know you will take it personally but it takes two people to do business and I cannot believe from all this that the client is totally at fault here.

Just chill, take stock of your situation again and think about it logically rather than spitting feathers. The late renewal is easily manageable, you have some sort of agreement so its a start. It is now down to you and you alone to manage depending on your attitude to risk. The coming in issue also seems pretty clear if you step back.

Take a chill pill and re-address each issue one at a time sensibly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Sorry, I misunderstood your previous posts.

If your contract ends on the 31st, unless you have pre-arranged time off with the client between Chrimbo and New Year, you should work during that time, unless something more pressing comes up that prevents you from doing the work. At the end of the day, unless you have good reason, why turn down the opportunity to fill your warchest?
      Client have asked and arrangement is that I feel I am available then they are happy to pay me for work. Seems fair enough.

Will probably work but it is Xmas after all. Work to live and all that?

Wife is a nurse who has to work Xmas day etc so it'd nice to at least have some time together over the holidays.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You don't need to make it up. Most of us have been through something similar or have seen it happen. It isn't uncommon and it certainly isn't a cross only you have to bare, particularly the late renewals. The difference is most people take as part and parcel of the job and get on with it rather than causing a huge drama. From what I see it isn't just the client that is adding to the problem here. I know you will take it personally but it takes two people to do business and I cannot believe from all this that the client is totally at fault here.

Just chill, take stock of your situation again and think about it logically rather than spitting feathers. The late renewal is easily manageable, you have some sort of agreement so its a start. It is now down to you and you alone to manage depending on your attitude to risk. The coming in issue also seems pretty clear if you step back.

Take a chill pill and re-address each issue one at a time sensibly.
        Fair point. I guess I'm not the only one who's ever had this.

Yeh, I will calm down in a bit. LOL. At the moment, just peed off because client/agent has caused this hassle unnecessarily. That's one of my pet hates - things being made more hassle because of poor planning or someone who cant be arsed. That's one thing I wont do in personal and work life is jump through hoops when the problem could have been avoided with a bit of thought especially when the warnings have been given.

Nice to see being nice today as well NLUK. Must be Xmas spirit or something.
        Be careful now I might start thinking there's a nice guy in there somewhere.

Have a nice xmas. Looking forward to renewed abuse from you in January!

Hugs and kisses,

Psycho. x

Comment

Client have asked and arrangement is that I feel I am available then they are happy to pay me for work. Seems fair enough.

Will probably work but it is Xmas after all. Work to live and all that?

Wife is a nurse who has to work Xmas day etc so it'd nice to at least have some time together over the holidays.
          If circumstances were different, i.e. you had an extension in place, and the project wasn't urgent, I would say take a break and enjoy Chrimbo and drink plenty of Chrimbo Wine (Or whatever it's called) and be merry, but we aren't exactly in a bouyant market to dictate at the moment. I won't speculate as to when things pick up, but will admit 2011 has been one of the better years for me, work wise.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Fair point. I guess I'm not the only one who's ever had this.
            I would argue it is more common than not. In the last 4 renewals I have had I handed my laptop in twice and picked it back up on the Monday morning it was that late. I would take this as the norm so as not to get disappointed IMO.

Yeh, I will calm down in a bit. LOL. At the moment, just peed off because client/agent has caused this hassle unnecessarily. That's one of my pet hates - things being made more hassle because of poor planning or someone who cant be arsed. That's one thing I wont do in personal and work life is jump through hoops when the problem could have been avoided with a bit of thought especially when the warnings have been given.
            I get you here but again in some of my previous experience I have been scape goat or the one to fix it because I am a contractor. They will give the permies any flexibility they can and dump it on the guy that won't be there soon. Again, it is part and parcel of the job. Granted some situations are more extreme but in my experience so far a smooth ride is a bonus not a given. I think you are going to be posting a lot more on here over the next few contracts
            Nice to see being nice today as well NLUK. Must be Xmas spirit or something.
            Be careful now I might start thinking there's a nice guy in there somewhere.

Have a nice xmas. Looking forward to renewed abuse from you in January!
            I am sure normal service will be resumed in the New Year when you can't decide what your New Year resolutions are and want us to sort it for you or something similar...

Merry Xmas!
            Last edited by northernladuk; 22 December 2011, 11:52.

Comment

It has happened to me mre than once that the paper work is sorted out after the contract has started, no problem. A contract can be agreed verbally, and if you are turning up to work, it wouldn´t be in dispute. I see no advantage at all in not turning up for work, it won´t speed things up, you´ll just end up with no pay, and maybe a slightly miffed client. I have seen contractors declare they´ll stay at home, and really all it is is an admin problem; so the PM rings round the admin, then rings the sulky contractor, and persuades him to come in and that it really is an admin problem, sulky contractor comes in having lost a billable day, then the contract or payment or whatever comes in late anyway. So really there´s no point in making a statement other than you might feel youve made an impact even though it won´t make a blind bit of difference because no-one really cares anyway.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

NLUK - Now what shall I buy my Mrs for Xmas? :-)

Comment

NLUK - Now what shall I buy my Mrs for Xmas? :-)
                  I would have suggested a Nurses outfit, but you didn't direct the question to me.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    It has happened to me mre than once that the paper work is sorted out after the contract has started, no problem. A contract can be agreed verbally, and if you are turning up to work, it wouldn´t be in dispute. I see no advantage at all in not turning up for work, it won´t speed things up, you´ll just end up with no pay, and maybe a slightly miffed client. I have seen contractors declare they´ll stay at home, and really all it is is an admin problem; so the PM rings round the admin, then rings the sulky contractor, and persuades him to come in and that it really is an admin problem, sulky contractor comes in having lost a billable day, then the contract or payment or whatever comes in late anyway. So really there´s no point in making a statement other than you might feel youve made an impact even though it won´t make a blind bit of difference because no-one really cares anyway.
                    Yes. You are of course totally correct. But clients/agents shouldnt be allowed to get away with it. Its an admin problem usually caused (well in my situation anyway) because agent/client couldnt be arsed to sort it out.

In terms of agreement, client has told me verbally but of course my contract is with agency. All they've said is if they get an email from client they'll sort something out. So far no email from client despite me asking them to do so. Not difficult is it? But of course they cant be arsed...

I agree not showing up is going to cost you a day billing and a slightly wassed off client but where do you draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                      I would have suggested a Nurses outfit, but you didn't direct the question to me.
                      Erm..

Did you miss that or did I just not get the joke?

Comment

Working...
                      X