• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Rate

Hi,
    I am wondering if it's acceptable practice to ask directly the client during an interview what are the rates
    just to understand if the agent told you something realistic or if he just tries to get a bigger slice.
    I've almost got a contract because they need me urgently and I am not completely convinced
    about the rate the agency is offering me.

cheers

Ask, if the mood is right. It's in the client's interest that the agents margin is reasonable. Once, Hays was caught red handed for taking a 33% cut off my contract...

Comment

Originally posted by Fra View Post
      Hi,
      I am wondering if it's acceptable practice to ask directly the client during an interview what are the rates
      just to understand if the agent told you something realistic or if he just tries to get a bigger slice.
      I've almost got a contract because they need me urgently and I am not completely convinced
      about the rate the agency is offering me.

cheers
      One of the side effects of us having to work a blind auction when bidding for work (and something else on my list of things to sort out one day...).

You can ask, but be careful. It is commercially confidential between agency and end-client after all. If they do tell you (some will) and you think you're being under-priced, or the agency margin is too high, you should argue that with the agency, not the client. And you can't argue rates until you have the job offer on the table...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I would say no, your contract is with the Agent rather than the client so would be very unprofessional to talk about the rates between the client and contract. During the course of the contract you could find out and use the knowledge at renewal
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I generally don't if I'm happy with the rate and I have a good knowledge of the market and concur with the above on contractor - agency - client quasi legalities.

However, in a rare encounter, a client asked me directly what the agency were charging and explained he was an ex-contractor. The agency were charging 15% which was within mutually acceptable bounds as a factoring service.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

If you're not 'convinced' by the rate being offered then why did you accept the interview?

The client is using an agency to procure resource (you) then they're not likely to want to get involved with agency margin discussions. They just know they are prepared to pay £X.

If you get an offer after interview and you're confident you're head and tails above any other candidates then you can discuss with the agent about the rate and their margin (although don't expect they will tell you the truth). The agent will possibly call up the client saying that you're asking for more though.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I would say no, your contract is with the Agent rather than the client so would be very unprofessional to talk about the rates between the client and contract. During the course of the contract you could find out and use the knowledge at renewal
              WHS +1.

If you did ask and it was blatently obvious you were being naive about the process I believe it would harm your chances IMO. You are gambling that the client doesn't take it the wrong way. Last thing they want is a trouble making contractor.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had the client tell me the rate, but I'd never ask. If I'm talking to an agent-savvy hiring manager, I might ask if they have a fixed margin deal with the agency.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

As others have said, you have to tread carefully. Some clients are up front about it and will offer the information at the interview, others get very prickly and say that it's strictly between you and the agent. It might also cause a bit of friction if the client are thinking that you aren't the one for the job and they are going through the motions with the interview.

If they ever say that they would like to take you on during the interview then that may be a good time to raise the question. Asking if the agency is on the preferred suppliers list and a fixed margin might be a good start but you really have to judge each case on it's merits.

My view is that I'm a business man and it's in my best interests to know how much the middle man is taking otherwise you and the client could be both getting ripped off.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I've had the client tell me the rate, but I'd never ask. If I'm talking to an agent-savvy hiring manager, I might ask if they have a fixed margin deal with the agency.
                    WNATS.

At least then the agent has some motivation to get you the best rate he can.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X