• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

second job - do i need to let current employer know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second job - do i need to let current employer know?

hi

i am on a permanent role but looking for partime or weekend work , or sort of short contract 1 month long ( im planning on using my annual leave for this).

do i have to let my current employer know about this?
    i think my term and condition of employment says that i need to let them know only for purpose of health and safety (so they aware of total hours that i work on weekly basis ...)

how do i approach this? do you guys think they be cool with it?

i need extra cash which is why im doing it.
    Last edited by calacik; 11 February 2011, 01:03.

Originally posted by calacik View Post
    how do i approach this? do you guys think they be cool with it?

Yeah I think they'll love you for it. Shows a right team spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Yeah I think they'll love you for it. Shows a right team spirit.
      are you telling me to ask for pay rise instead?hmmm

Comment

If you're bound by your contract to tell them, keep it quiet and get it caught, you could end up with disciplinary action against you.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No. You don't need to say anything.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
            i think my term and condition of employment says that i need to let them know only for purpose of health and safety (so they aware of total hours that i work on weekly basis ...)
            Read your contract and prepare your defence ready in case they challenge you. If it's only down to health and safety at work (a legal requirement on your employer) and you can prove that it doesn't affect this (eg you not coming to work tired after working double shifts) then you may be OK.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Bear in mind that your secondary income will be taxable at basic rate as your tax free allowance can only be used once in each payroll period
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                If you're bound by your contract to tell them, keep it quiet and get it caught, you could end up with disciplinary action against you.
                WHS.

Regardless of why the clause is in your contract, you need to ensure that you do whatever you need to do to stick to it. Last thing you really want is to get fired for breaching your contract to earn a few quid a week.

Many employers have a restriction in there to stop you doing work that would be in conflict of interest to your main role, which is understandable.

You'd be better off running an eBay business on the side and using your employer to pay your postage bills for you
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I find that some permanent employers get a little funny about that. I had a little operation on the side a few years back and that was seriously frowned upon and led to my dismissal.

Comment

Many standard contracts try to make out they own any work you do while employed, even in your own time at home. This is basically a load of cobblers but your contract may easily have such a clause, or other non-compete things. Check carefully - many people who write their own software on the side get these removed when taking a job.

It's pretty common to do what you're saying, in real life unless it affects your work they are unlikely to care but if you start turning up knackered or do anything dumb like email your client from a work PC, you risk problems... simply being fired is fairly low down the list if you really irritate them.

If you have a good relationship, casually mention it if possible, would be my plan - it could end up getting you more recognition for other skills you have. If they are very up tight but you're not doing anything against your contract I'd simply not tell anyone (that's what I did prior to leaving employment).
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X