• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Used client's postal service (and got found out)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used client's postal service (and got found out)

My client has a postal service (ostensibly for inter-office communication) that I used last week to send a couple of packages. You don't need to stamp the packages - they do it for you. Used it last week to send two fairly heavy books that I'd sold on ebay. Well just got hauled up by boss's boss because this had been flagged up. Managed to explain and apologise, said I'd pay for it if necessary, bossman took it in good humour and all seems to be well.

Just thought I'd put it out on the forum as a caveat.

Ebay? Books?

I burn mine to keep my place warm Fahrenheit 451 style so I don't get £1000 heating bills.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      My client has a postal service (ostensibly for inter-office communication) that I used last week to send a couple of packages. You don't need to stamp the packages - they do it for you. Used it last week to send two fairly heavy books that I'd sold on ebay. Well just got hauled up by boss's boss because this had been flagged up. Managed to explain and apologise, said I'd pay for it if necessary, bossman took it in good humour and all seems to be well.

Just thought I'd put it out on the forum as a warning to other people that might be dumb enough to do this and show how lucky I was not to get walked.
      FTFY
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why didn't you be open and honest about it and offer to pay first FFS?

I always do.

Most of the time when you offer to pay for things people let you do things for free. Though heavy parcels take the p*ss.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had a contract at a large hospital and the other contractor onsite was running a mail order ski business and he used to send all his skis and stuff out via the hospital stores department

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Why didn't you be open and honest about it and offer to pay first FFS?

I always do.

Most of the time when you offer to pay for things people let you do things for free. Though heavy parcels take the p*ss.
            This^

Known people walked off-site for far smaller offences...

I actually got moaned at by the post room of a Banking client because I had put postage on a private letter. They said it wasn't enough postage, and in future not to put stamps even on private mail as they would stamp it for free anyway.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post

Just thought I'd put it out on the forum as a caveat.
              You must be really good at what you do. Cos I'd have fired you, particularly as it wasn't even personal, but commercial (of a sort).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                You must be really good at what you do. Cos I'd have fired you, particularly as it wasn't even personal, but commercial (of a sort).
                Being fired is a perk of permiedom not contracting </pedant off>
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I once got a slight ticking off for selling illegally imported meat on client's premises.

One of their staff said she was missing some special biltong that she could only get back home in South Africa, and I kindly brought a batch in from a dodgy ethnic grocer I knew.

You try to do people a favour and they bite you in the arse.

Comment

Would love to know the OP's daily rate.

What is worth risking a contract for a couple of books?

Berk.

Comment

Working...
                    X