• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Used client's postal service (and got found out)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    My client has a postal service (ostensibly for inter-office communication) that I used last week to send a couple of packages. You don't need to stamp the packages - they do it for you. Used it last week to send two fairly heavy books that I'd sold on ebay. Well just got hauled up by boss's boss because this had been flagged up. Managed to explain and apologise, said I'd pay for it if necessary, bossman took it in good humour and all seems to be well.

Just thought I'd put it out on the forum as a caveat.
    I'd also like to add to that in case some of you are confused and it needs clearing up.

It's appears it is not acceptable to help yourself to lots of stationary and packs of A4 for home use as or use the work laser printers to print out 200 copies of War and Peace for your mates.
    It also appears that you are not allowed to take crates of soft drinks home from the free drinks dispenser, or help yourself to a few boxes of tea bags and a jar of coffee
    In addition, putting taxi expenses on your bill for popping down to McDonalds also appears to be unacceptable
    And finally, popping the bosses wife over the desk and taking her from behind in front of the whole office party is also frowned upon.

Anyway the bossman took it in good humour and all seems to be well.

(and yes I know I'm not in general)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      My client has a postal service (ostensibly for inter-office communication) that I used last week to send a couple of packages. You don't need to stamp the packages - they do it for you. Used it last week to send two fairly heavy books that I'd sold on ebay. Well just got hauled up by boss's boss because this had been flagged up. Managed to explain and apologise, said I'd pay for it if necessary, bossman took it in good humour and all seems to be well.

Why? Do you think we are as stupid as you or something?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Why? Do you think we are as stupid as you or something?
        There is bound to be some newbie who will ask a question like that. Unfortunately they also won't be able to use the search facility.....................
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          I once got a slight ticking off for selling illegally imported meat on client's premises.

One of their staff said she was missing some special biltong that she could only get back home in South Africa, and I kindly brought a batch in from a dodgy ethnic grocer I knew.

You try to do people a favour and they bite you in the arse.

Where would one find such a butcher? I am FED UP of paying ridiculous money for Biltong......
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

It was a corner shop in one of those places west of London that begins with H. Could have been Hillingdon, Harlington, Hayes, or Harmondsworth. Or possibly West Drayton.

Comment

It was a corner shop in one of those places west of London that begins with H. Could have been Hillingdon, Harlington, Hayes, or Harmondsworth. Or possibly West Drayton.
              You know, you could be an agent with that level of precision
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                I had a contract at a large hospital and the other contractor onsite was running a mail order ski business and he used to send all his skis and stuff out via the hospital stores department
                That could be classed as drumming up business for the medical profession though, to be fair.

Comment

I once got a slight ticking off for selling illegally imported meat on client's premises.

One of their staff said she was missing some special biltong that she could only get back home in South Africa, and I kindly brought a batch in from a dodgy ethnic grocer I knew.

You try to do people a favour and they bite you in the arse.
                  I knew a contractor who got permission to seel (hens') eggs from the premises. She used to taek the vegetable peelings etc. home to feed the chickens as well. Just goes to show it's worth asking.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                    You know, you could be an agent with that level of precision
                    Sorry,
                    I meant Hillingdon (Central London), Harlington (City of London), Hayes (Wiltshire), or Harmondsworth (commutable from Dublin/Paris Charles de Gaulle).

Comment

Sorry,
                      I meant Hillingdon (Central London), Harlington (City of London), Hayes (Wiltshire), or Harmondsworth (commutable from Dublin/Paris Charles de Gaulle).
                      Send me two references and I might think about searching for them
                      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                      X