• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "second job - do i need to let current employer know?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    The debate about whether your employer would own copyright is also muddied by how you did the work.

If I was employed by Co A and did some sideline development as a contractor, but used the laptop issued by CoA, then there would be a significantly higher chance of CoA being able to argue that they owned the copyright. Ditto if they paid some of my broadband bill.

I'd steer clear of it, unless there is a massive upside that I'm missing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    It means 24 hour a day indentured slave?
    No it's open to interpretation like the majority of laws in the various legal jurisdictions of the UK.

The European Working Time Directive and Health and Safety Law stops an employer working their staff to death.

Some companies will need to know if you do other work because under Health and Safety Law you may be putting other people at risk if you work too many hours. For example if you work for a transport company or a company where most people do a lot of driving, they will need to know this regardless of the job you personally do.

As not everyone is involved in this type of work in a business they they also have to put anti-competition clauses in the contract to protect them. The anti-competition clauses have to be written properly though. I know people who have gone to work for direct competitors because the clauses where written badly so couldn't be legally enforced.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The contract clauses typically imply exactly this... which is why I suggest they are often illegal because in the UK a company isn't allowed to own you. As pointed out, there are times they can be upheld so if you work doing X and do a sideline in X, a little common sense should be applied. In other countries, the laws are far more supportive of employers and mean they pretty much can screw you over like this.

Knowing about your employer's general attitude and strictness, and if what you want to do has any relevance to your day job or your employer, you need to make your own decision.

Leave a comment:

• calacik
    replied
    does anyone know any alternative websites to vworker?

i never accepted work from those kind of websites but I thought it might be worth giving it a try ....
    please share your experience if you used before.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Effectively yes.

To the OP: If you can get the contract work, then maybe you should just leave the permie job and get the control work full time.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I suggest no good can possibly come from telling them about it.
    This^

And, quite frankly, it's none of their business (literally and figuratively) as long as there is no conflict of interest.

Just keep quiet, and keep invoicing.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WSS. Full time doesn't mean just the time you're in the office.

I personally wouldnt tell them, and Id be looking hard for another job if my normal one doesnt pay enough.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    WSS. Full time doesn't mean just the time you're in the office.

I suggest no good can possibly come from telling them about it. They might be fine, or they might feel they can't stop you but will seriously question your commitment from then on, or most likely, they'll just say no because why wouldn't they?

Being able to do this is (yet another) benefit of being a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Many standard contracts try to make out they own any work you do while employed, even in your own time at home. This is basically a load of cobblers
    Actually it isn't. There have been some interesting court cases over it where former employees have lost due to developing products in a similar line of work. And if you work for a company like IBM I wouldn't even think about it.

It's simply a case of read your contract before you sign it, pointing out what clauses are absurd and getting them removed.

Leave a comment:

• TOSH1
    replied
    I had a permie job a few years ago, and got myself a part time job working weekends. I didnt tell anyone and no one found out. The only problem I had, was when i was on 'emergency' call with the permie job and the phone rang whilst I was at the weekend job.

That took some explaining, thankfully the 'emergency' was just a forgotten password.

Ifs only for 1 month. I'd do it and not tell anyone

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Many standard contracts try to make out they own any work you do while employed, even in your own time at home. This is basically a load of cobblers but your contract may easily have such a clause, or other non-compete things. Check carefully - many people who write their own software on the side get these removed when taking a job.

It's pretty common to do what you're saying, in real life unless it affects your work they are unlikely to care but if you start turning up knackered or do anything dumb like email your client from a work PC, you risk problems... simply being fired is fairly low down the list if you really irritate them.

If you have a good relationship, casually mention it if possible, would be my plan - it could end up getting you more recognition for other skills you have. If they are very up tight but you're not doing anything against your contract I'd simply not tell anyone (that's what I did prior to leaving employment).

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    I find that some permanent employers get a little funny about that. I had a little operation on the side a few years back and that was seriously frowned upon and led to my dismissal.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you're bound by your contract to tell them, keep it quiet and get it caught, you could end up with disciplinary action against you.
    WHS.

Regardless of why the clause is in your contract, you need to ensure that you do whatever you need to do to stick to it. Last thing you really want is to get fired for breaching your contract to earn a few quid a week.

Many employers have a restriction in there to stop you doing work that would be in conflict of interest to your main role, which is understandable.

You'd be better off running an eBay business on the side and using your employer to pay your postage bills for you

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Bear in mind that your secondary income will be taxable at basic rate as your tax free allowance can only be used once in each payroll period

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by calacik View Post
    i think my term and condition of employment says that i need to let them know only for purpose of health and safety (so they aware of total hours that i work on weekly basis ...)
    Read your contract and prepare your defence ready in case they challenge you. If it's only down to health and safety at work (a legal requirement on your employer) and you can prove that it doesn't affect this (eg you not coming to work tired after working double shifts) then you may be OK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X