• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turned up, budget not agreed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned up, budget not agreed

I signed a contract with an agent for a contract starting today. I turned up at the customer site, waited for half an hour in reception and then got a call from the agent saying that the customer had not yet agreed the budget and I might start next week instead. The customer contact knew I was there but did not speak to me. I turned down two other contracts starting today to take this one so I loose four days income. I'm not too impressed!

It happens. Be prepared for it to go belly up though. Wouldn't be the first time someone has been messed about like this and then the whole contract get's canned.

Generally people just have to take this on the chin, you are paid to do work, if there is no work there is no pay but there have been a few instances on here where people have argued with their agent and got themselves paid for the delay. Could be worth trying it with them but until you have yourself a place I wouldn't ruffle too many feathers. If they are unsure what to do and then you steam in with demands it may tip the balance the wrong way.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
      I signed a contract with an agent for a contract starting today. I turned up at the customer site, waited for half an hour in reception and then got a call from the agent saying that the customer had not yet agreed the budget and I might start next week instead. The customer contact knew I was there but did not speak to me. I turned down two other contracts starting today to take this one so I loose four days income. I'm not too impressed!
      I think you'll be lucky if it's just 4 days income you lose. From my experience "budget not yet agreed" often equates to "budget was never in place and will never be".

I'd be inclined to go back to the other 2 contracts.

If this contract does continue then I would request a change to your start and end dates, to reflect the delay.

Comment

WCMS. I'd go back to the other two contracts AND check out other vacancies. In your position I'd consider myself fully back on the market for other clients and would be marketing myself as such. If this ClientCo comes back to you with something, great, but assume that they won't and act accordingly. Good luck. Crappy start to the year.

Comment

I'd be checking that contract and telling the agent that you're invoicing them anyway. You've spent out to get there and you're contract is with the agency.

Alternatively, go back to the other contracts(if you can), keep this one on the boil and if they do go ahead don't turn up. Two can play at that game.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd certainly be inclined to invoice for the day, if you actually arrived on-site before the agent bothered to tell you.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Surely if you have an agreed start date in a signed contract, you expect to be working on that day and can invoice for it?

For what its worth I'd side with the others and start looking elsewhere as well as getting something in writing from the agent confirming the delay is from their side in spite of the signed contract.

Comment

Chase the other jobs you turned down. I think you'll need one of them, good luck. I'm not sure I'd trust that client co.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It happens. Be prepared for it to go belly up though. Wouldn't be the first time someone has been messed about like this and then the whole contract get's canned.
                  Yeah, as Jesus said "be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.". I'm sceptical enough that I won't be too surprised if it does.

I'd be inclined to go back to the other 2 contracts.
                  I've now talked to one and they're still looking so unless things get sorted out soon I have a plan B.

Originally posted by ascender View Post
                  Surely if you have an agreed start date in a signed contract, you expect to be working on that day and can invoice for it?
                  The agency didn't sign the contract yet (nothing too unusual in that sadly) so not sure I'd be able to hold them to paying for today. Tempting though.

Comment

If you've anything in writing from the Agent then you've ammunition to support invoicing for today. A verbal agreement is legal, but a lot harder to make stick.

I'd go to opportunity 2 and if they chase number 1 then say "sorry you messed me about so I secured other work and am now committed to that". Make sure that the client contact is copied in of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X