• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Flaming contractors don't know how good you have it!

I work 55 hours a week as standard. I take calls at home as well. I take a lame basic salary, and whilst the commission scheme makes life easier, I do it because it's what I need to do to get on in the world.

A professional working day, is a 24 hour period, where you work as much as you need to in order to get the job done!
    As a contractor that is plain stupid to do, if you get to much work done to quick you either get terminated early or there will be no extension!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I'm really not sure why he is complaining. The terms and working conditions of the company he is at are well known although not easy to get around.

What he needs is to get someone to ring him at weekends. I managed to bill 3 months at 7 days a week due to tech support panicking and ringing me anytime something went wrong. As my contract only mentioned a day rate every phone call resulted in me billing for a full day.
      That's just taking the piss the other way though. I mean billing a full day for a call. Even if the call lasted an hour or two. Sorry but even if that's what the contract says, you'd be whinging if the client tried it on.

Anyways, Im not going in until 12 today then working until 7pm. Just needs a bit of flexibility from both sides imo.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
        As a contractor that is plain stupid to do, if you get to much work done to quick you either get terminated early or there will be no extension!
        And you guys wonder why there's a lack of contract work out there.....

How about delivery record? professional integrity? Deadlines? Value proposition?

You cost around about double a permies costs all in, if it takes you the same amount of time to complete a project, as it does a permie, why on earth would anyone take you on as a contractor?

Take double the number of permies and they're laughing.......

You are running a delivery business. Delivery businesses who don't deliver, don't last very long.....
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

And you guys wonder why there's a lack of contract work out there.....

How about delivery record? professional integrity? Deadlines? Value proposition?

You cost around about double a permies costs all in, if it takes you the same amount of time to complete a project, as it does a permie, why on earth would anyone take you on as a contractor?
          Take double the number of permies and they're laughing.......

You are running a delivery business. Delivery businesses who don't deliver, don't last very long.....
          Because we know more than the perms and they can get rid of us as soon as they don't need us.

Comment

Because we know more than the perms and they can get rid of us as soon as they don't need us.
            Well if you know so much more, then you should be able to deliver in double quick time..... what's the point of engaging all that knowledge, if the contractor is not going to use it???

Get rid of you when they don't need you?? Up to a year you can get rid of a permie for looking at you in the wrong way pretty easily - a contractor who is plodding in the hope of an extension, is ultimately, a worthless contractor.
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Well if you know so much more, then you should be able to deliver in double quick time..... what's the point of engaging all that knowledge, if the contractor is not going to use it???

Get rid of you when they don't need you?? Up to a year you can get rid of a permie for looking at you in the wrong way pretty easily - a contractor who is plodding in the hope of an extension, is ultimately, a worthless contractor.
              You are like most agents, clueless about what actually goes on out on the sites. If I am contracted for 3 months to help withe phase 1 of a project, why shouldn't I be working towards getting an extension and being a part of phase 2? I certainly wouln't work 50-60 hour weeks to finish both my bits in phase 1 and the bits I would be doing in phase 2 to leave me out of work at the end of the initial 3 months.

Comment

You are like most agents, clueless about what actually goes on out on the sites. If I am contracted for 3 months to help withe phase 1 of a project, why shouldn't I be working towards getting an extension and being a part of phase 2? I certainly wouln't work 50-60 hour weeks to finish both my bits in phase 1 and the bits I would be doing in phase 2 to leave me out of work at the end of the initial 3 months.
                Actually its more a matter of being professional. Better to do the work that is asked for in an excellent fashion than doing more work in an ok fashion.

Rushing delivery usual results in creating potential errors and faults no-one notices till its too late.

As for permies being cheaper than contractors. Crap permies may be cheaper, decent ones leave to go elsewhere.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

...Pointless headbanging...
                  There's no point arguing with an agent about a contractor's working or delivery style. The only things you can actually have an informed discussion on are;

Bryl cream or Loreal : Which one for a less greasy looking do
                  3 series or A4 : Which one says "I've arrived"
                  Braces and White collar striped shirts : "Retro 80's look" or "Geko will always be cool"

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Actually its more a matter of being professional. Better to do the work that is asked for in an excellent fashion than doing more work in an ok fashion.

Rushing delivery usual results in creating potential errors and faults no-one notices till the contractor has left the building

As for permies being cheaper than contractors. Crap permies may be cheaper, decent ones leave to go elsewhere.
                    FTFY
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Flaming contractors don't know how good you have it!

I work 55 hours a week as standard. I take calls at home as well. I take a lame basic salary, and whilst the commission scheme makes life easier, I do it because it's what I need to do to get on in the world.

A professional working day, is a 24 hour period, where you work as much as you need to in order to get the job done!
                      You're comparing (crab) apples with oranges. We're not ex used-car salesmen.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X