• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleek View Post
    And in case I still have a chance to be cleared, should I mention the whole thing in the form or just declare my 5 week long employment there with the supervisor’s details and let them find out themselves?
    I'd be honest but only add the details of your previous indiscretion if any of the questions mean you should be providing such information.

No-one here can tell you whether that indiscretion will cause a refusal this time - every client will have heir own threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      I'd be honest but only add the details of your previous indiscretion if any of the questions mean you should be providing such information.

No-one here can tell you whether that indiscretion will cause a refusal this time - every client will have heir own threshold.
      Thank you for your prompt response. I just thought, as reading a lot of comments here, people said: if I declare and explain things, I’m already on the winning side. Also, 5 week employment is very suspicious so it’s very likely they would want to dig into it. Therefore, if I say the whole story in the form, it will help, somehow improve my integrity. Thank you again for your advice.

Comment

UK Citizen lived overseas for 10 years

Hi everyone,

I've read through the vast majority of this 50+ page sticky (some great info) but have yet to find an answer to my exact situation.

I am a British citizen and lived in the Uk until about age 25 then have been working overseas for about 10 years (still living in Ontario).

I am currently interviewing for some positions with defence and aerospace companies for administrative and management positions and the postings say that SC will be required due to the nature of the roles. I am mid way through the process with a few companies (have had multiple interviews) and SC has not been discussed or brought up as something that may be an issue - however from looking on here it looks like as I have lived outside the Uk for more than 5 years I might struggle to get SC?

I don't really mind if it takes a long time, but if it's likely to be a non starter then i'd like to know now. I wasn't sure if the 5 year stipulation was for non UK citizens living in the Uk and applying.

Thanks for any advice you can give
        Thanks

Comment

It has been answered, actually...

Yes, 5 years' residency is a basic requirement. However, residency in a variety of (usually Commonwealth) countries is fine, if they have a decent security regime of their own (as Canada does). However the same old rule applies - fill in the paperwork and seee what happens. There's no point trying to second guess what the client is looking for.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Enhanced SC

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I applied for Enhanced SC about a year ago and was rejected. I disclosed that I had been arrested (not charged etc), but couldn't remember the exact details regarding dates. During the vetting I received calls asking for more details about this arrest.

I then completed an acro check to find out the specific details and it came back that there was nothing held on my file. I subsequently applied for another job which required SC, and when it asked about arrests etc, I put that I hadn't been involved with the police, and had no driving penalties, I then found out that I had passed SC.

My situation now is that I want to apply for another job that requires Enhanced SC. I have submitted a few more subject access requests and they have all come back with no data held. I remember being arrested twice, and I defaulted on a mobile phone bill and gas/electric when I first moved into my flat. My arrests were prior to 2006.

I am wondering if an actual record of my arrests still exists. When I was called by vetting previously they gave the impression they had no idea what I was talking about regarding my arrests, but I put the one I remembered down, because I didn't want to hide anything. However having passed the SC the second time after leaving out that I had been arrested has confused me somewhat as to what to disclose.

The only other thing that would be on my file is that I think I received points on my licence around 15 years ago. I have put in a subject access request to the DVLA, cause again I can't remember the specifics around this. It occurred in Portsmouth, but I missed court and was arrested by City of London police, held overnight and transported to Portsmouth the following morning. A subject access request to City of London police again came back empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernadez View Post
              Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I applied for Enhanced SC about a year ago and was rejected. I disclosed that I had been arrested (not charged etc), but couldn't remember the exact details regarding dates. During the vetting I received calls asking for more details about this arrest.

I then completed an acro check to find out the specific details and it came back that there was nothing held on my file. I subsequently applied for another job which required SC, and when it asked about arrests etc, I put that I hadn't been involved with the police, and had no driving penalties, I then found out that I had passed SC.

My situation now is that I want to apply for another job that requires Enhanced SC. I have submitted a few more subject access requests and they have all come back with no data held. I remember being arrested twice, and I defaulted on a mobile phone bill and gas/electric when I first moved into my flat. My arrests were prior to 2006.

I am wondering if an actual record of my arrests still exists. When I was called by vetting previously they gave the impression they had no idea what I was talking about regarding my arrests, but I put the one I remembered down, because I didn't want to hide anything. However having passed the SC the second time after leaving out that I had been arrested has confused me somewhat as to what to disclose.

The only other thing that would be on my file is that I think I received points on my licence around 15 years ago. I have put in a subject access request to the DVLA, cause again I can't remember the specifics around this. It occurred in Portsmouth, but I missed court and was arrested by City of London police, held overnight and transported to Portsmouth the following morning. A subject access request to City of London police again came back empty.
              reading this I'm more suprised that you got SC than were denied SC+
              It reads that you've been arrested three times but only disclosed the one, with sketchy details.

Same advice as always. Be completely honest.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hello all

If anyone can advise on transferring SC, I’d be really grateful.

I had SC with an employer, but I left (resigned) that job six months ago. The employer informed NSVS that I had left, which I guess is standard procedure. I’ve not done any defence-related work within the last six months.

It’s my understanding that SC remains valid for 12 months, i.e. I left six months ago so would have 6 months SC remaining.

If I apply for a role with a different employer, will my original SC be valid/transferable? The security office at my original employer is claiming it’s only valid if I return to them within 12 months of leaving. I’m not sure that’s true.

Many thanks for input.

Comment

Somewhere in this long thread that has been answered several times...

Quick answer - nobody knows.

Slightly less quick answer - clearance may be active for a year after leaving the post and may be transferred within that time scale. But I emphasise "may", there are many reasons why it won't be - different risk factors, different clients, holidays in interesting places for example.

You can't affect it anyway. As far as agencies are concerned - since they never know the right answer anyway - tell them you had active clearance six months ago, that will keep them quiet. Other than that, it's up to the client.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks, nothing interesting about me in the last six months ?

Yes, the new client isn’t that proactive and just simply forwarded me the reply from my previous employer saying my SC was only transferable if I went back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by hodd View Post
                      Thanks, nothing interesting about me in the last six months ������

Yes, the new client isn’t that proactive and just simply forwarded me the reply from my previous employer saying my SC was only transferable if I went back to them.
                      So quite probably the security needs of your new job is different enough from the old one that your previous clearance isn't acceptable to the new guys. Which is the most likely - I had to get re-vetted fully when I moved from a commercial defence supplier to the MOD, who simply did not trust the ex-employer's quality standards for security clearance.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X