• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Here's a question: should I put SC on my CV? Should I put it in big letters at the top so agents can easily see it, or just mention it under the relevant job history entry, or perhaps not at all?

What do others do?
    I did when I had it. I put it my personal statement spiel at the top when applying for SC roles specifically using the term Security Cleared (SC) and also had it next to each role which stayed there whatever role I applied for. So it said Dishwash (SC Cleared) for example. I used both SC Cleared and Security Cleared to cover any search terms the agent might use.

Didn't do me any good to be honest. Many more unsecured roles came up closer to home with equivalent money so took them and my SC lapsed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm in limbo at the moment.

I was working at a List X location, on a project that required SC clearance.
      So, they have me down as "SC Cleared, via HO DSU".

I now need to work on another project in the same building, but this apparently requires "SC Clearance via the MOD".

I don't want to do a transfer, as I will need to work on both projects every now and again...
      It does seem odd that one dept doesn't respect the clearance performed by another, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the way it's meant to work.

Comment

Scottish DAS

Hello,

I have been having a read at this Thread and I was just wondering if I could ask I question.

I am currently applying for a Role which Requires SC Clearance. Last November I defaulted on a lot of Pay Day Loans and went via the Scottish Goverment to apply for a Scottish DAS (Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) I was approved for the DAS and have been paying it since February.

As long as I am open and Honest in my application am I likely to be OK or is there a change I will be declined?

I am just worried about leaving my current job if I could end up losing my new job due to being declined for SC.

At the start of the plan I owed £26,159.49 and so far I have paid off £5,838.93 with £20,320.56 Still to go.

Thanks for your help!

B.

Comment

Originally posted by webspider84 View Post
          Hello,

I have been having a read at this Thread and I was just wondering if I could ask I question.

I am currently applying for a Role which Requires SC Clearance. Last November I defaulted on a lot of Pay Day Loans and went via the Scottish Goverment to apply for a Scottish DAS (Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)) I was approved for the DAS and have been paying it since February.

As long as I am open and Honest in my application am I likely to be OK or is there a change I will be declined?

I am just worried about leaving my current job if I could end up losing my new job due to being declined for SC.

At the start of the plan I owed £26,159.49 and so far I have paid off £5,838.93 with £20,320.56 Still to go.

Thanks for your help!

B.
          Honesty is the best policy. It depends on what the role is going to be, but if you are up front and can show that you are handling your debts (and therefore aren't a bribery candidate) then you should be OK.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Will i get Clearance

I would like to to apply for a custody job i have my door supervisors badge but i have a criminal record
            I have a clean record for 13 yrs i did spend time in prison 7 months on a 18 month sentance i have no violence on my record will i get security cleared as id really like to do a custody job

Comment

Originally posted by hunny4 View Post
              I would like to to apply for a custody job i have my door supervisors badge but i have a criminal record
              I have a clean record for 13 yrs i did spend time in prison 7 months on a 18 month sentance i have no violence on my record will i get security cleared as id really like to do a custody job
              That question has been answered several times already. Including in the post immediately before this one.

HTH
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Interesting one for the SC experts.
                Worked as permie for employer A on site B over 2 years ago. At the time, I was SC cleared.
                Contract comes up that needs SC. Working for client C who are an outsourcing company who provide services to A at site B.

First thing I thought was no go - SC has now lapsed. But agency have spoken to client C who have managed to transfer over my clearance to them.

Any idea how this was possible? Is it because its still same physical site?

If its all worked, does this mean I am now SC again (or is there a minimum time I need to work in SC role again) even if gig only lasts a month? And can claim SC for the following 12 months?
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Interesting one for the SC experts.
                  Worked as permie for employer A on site B over 2 years ago. At the time, I was SC cleared.
                  Contract comes up that needs SC. Working for client C who are an outsourcing company who provide services to A at site B.

First thing I thought was no go - SC has now lapsed. But agency have spoken to client C who have managed to transfer over my clearance to them.

Any idea how this was possible? Is it because its still same physical site?

If its all worked, does this mean I am now SC again (or is there a minimum time I need to work in SC role again) even if gig only lasts a month? And can claim SC for the following 12 months?
                  It depends on who did the clearance. Different agencies have different criteria for re-instating SC. MoD would be far less flexible than the NHS for example.

I would ask for official confirmation of your clearance status from the client. They should be able to give you a letter stating your clearance date and expiry and who holds it. Assuming it's all been done right, then yes, you should be good for another 12 months even if the gig only lasts a week.

Employer A probably dug the records out, decided you weren't a risk under the circumstances and reinstated your clearance.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Employer A probably dug the records out, decided you weren't a risk under the circumstances and reinstated your clearance.
                    Am not so sure that is the employers call.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Am not so sure that is the employers call.
                      Does the fact that its same physical site make a difference?

I've asked and they said yes the clearance is sorted. BUT, there is mileage in checking - dont want to turn up first day and them to go ah theres a problem sorry no go.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X