• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    It's as if the 'SC expires a year after leaving a secure site' meme is put out there by agents. It'd be a good way of reducing the supply of suitable candidates, make the candidate search appear more difficult and thus justify higher margins. I'm racking my brains but I don't think I'd ever heard this 'fact' from anyone in authority and certainly didn't hear it whilst I was a civil servant (but then again nobody around me ever talked about leaving the department).

I called my last SC'd contract yesterday (which I left three years ago). It was a government department and I spoke to the security desk. I'm surprised they told me all the details over the phone with no authentication but they said my SC runs for ten years (which is two years away) giving me the exact date and they don't know anything about it lapsing after a year. To be clear they confirmed my SC as live and current three years after working on a SC site.

Annoyingly I might have to go through the same old agent who told me last week that I couldn't be put through because it'd lapsed since I'd not been on a SC site for over a year (because I'm not sure if other agents with this meme will believe me). I think if I get a quick contract back there, it'll be easier to convince other agents that my SC is live for contracts elsewhere.
    Never met one agent who doesnt trot out this 12 months crap. Its just crazy the way it works.

I got one role a few months ago working on site (for a 3rd party) at place I'd worked as permie 2 years before. They told me no problem clearance sorted, can I start in 3 weeks? OK I said.

Friday before they call me. Sorry clearance not sorted its all off. Great...

Keep seeing the role on jobserve - they still havent got anyone (to be fair the rate was piss poor).

They could probably have cleared me from scratch in the 3 weeks before I started. Defies believe sometimes....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Here we go again. At least, its the client looking into this now.

Got a role which is SC. If you remember, last used SC 2+ years ago but it was until 2015 if I remember.

Malvy - they're checking into it but I guess they need to speak to the current holder of my SC - i.e. last employer
      Any idea what current lead time is for SC in any case? I know a lot of clients think its months but I'm sure you said recently it was weeks even for a fresh application?

Comment

Recent experience for someone of my acquaintance was 3.5 weeks from submitting the form online to confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Recent experience for someone of my acquaintance was 3.5 weeks from submitting the form online to confirmation.
          Yep, the SLA is actually 30 working days from submission, most appear to be beating that - provided everyone gets their bit of the paperwork submitted on time. Most delays are because things are sitting in Out trays these days.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Yep, the SLA is actually 30 working days from submission, most appear to be beating that - provided everyone gets their bit of the paperwork submitted on time. Most delays are because things are sitting in Out trays these days.
            Good to know. Pity clients/agents aren't aware because the perception is its 'months'.

Comment

Pity clients don't listen. Got one saying SC expired so they can't wait months....
              Can guarantee that in 3 months time they'll still be looking for someone with current SC for the role rather than wait 4-5 weeks to get me cleared. :-(

Comment

Great thread. I have read the sticky and underlying links and was wondering if someone could help.

I have been in constant employment since I have been 18 (11 years) over 3 different technical jobs. I've been offered a job recently that is worth 80k but the only thing is it requires SC - which could be a problem....

I've recently been charged (November) with carrying an offensive weapon - my belt after getting into an argument with 5 lads. I appeared in court and pleaded guilty and was handed a 450 pound fine. And I also have a caution for a scuffle with bouncers.

I've been reading a lot on the net that is conflicting regarding my charge etc. I have never failed any credit checks, I am married, own my own house, car etc etc.

What is other peoples views on me being denied SC clearance? I've held it previously 4 years ago but lapsed after I left my last job.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

We keep harping on about charges around dishonesty being the problem but carrying weapons tends to pretty serious. I would have thought this would have hampered your chances of getting the gig before SC is applied for. I would carrying on applying for other positions and not pin too much hope on this.l just to be on the safe side like.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    We keep harping on about charges around dishonesty being the problem but carrying weapons tends to pretty serious. I would have thought this would have hampered your chances of getting the gig before SC is applied for. I would carrying on applying for other positions and not pin too much hope on this.l just to be on the safe side like.
                    People in the army get SC and they carry guns/drive tanks/murder injured combatants don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Thanks very much for your response. I was thinking the same. Can't believe I was so daft.

Does the length of time after the conviction help the process? i.e. no trouble in the next 5 years - is that something that is likely to look in my favour?

Again thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...
                      X