• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrb34n View Post
    Thanks very much for your response. I was thinking the same. Can't believe I was so daft.

Does the length of time after the conviction help the process? i.e. no trouble in the next 5 years - is that something that is likely to look in my favour?

Again thanks for your time.
    The answer is in the thread. Convictions aren't a problem, not telling them about them is a problem. For one thing, they will already know all about them

Each case is judged on its merits and it's largely a subjective assessment so it's pointless trying to predict whether or not you pass SC vetting. And if you don't, you will never know why anyway, so it could be for something completely different (a friend's was held up for 9 months before he discovered his ex-wife had run up a big debt on his credit card that he didn't know anything about).
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The answer is in the thread. Convictions aren't a problem, not telling them about them is a problem. For one thing, they will already know all about them

Each case is judged on its merits and it's largely a subjective assessment so it's pointless trying to predict whether or not you pass SC vetting. And if you don't, you will never know why anyway, so it could be for something completely different (a friend's was held up for 9 months before he discovered his ex-wife had run up a big debt on his credit card that he didn't know anything about).
      Aha, but if I failed the SC vetting that would mean that the employer wouldn't take me on as its the SC team that decide if I pass or not when I tell them about the convictions.

I *think* my conviction will be spent in 5 years as it was a non-custodial with just a fine imposed. I guess it's a waiting game for me now

Comment

A belt - carrying an offensive weapon?

I can see maybe how it could be used as a weapon if you strangle someone with it or whack someone on the swede but surely if its carrying an offensive weapon then a lot of people are in trouble.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          A belt - carrying an offensive weapon?

I can see maybe how it could be used as a weapon if you strangle someone with it or whack someone on the swede but surely if its carrying an offensive weapon then a lot of people are in trouble.
          If it's round your waist it isn't. If it's in your hand beng used to hit someone it is. I don't think a lot of people swing it around to hit people. Jeez
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

CTC clearance - Will I pass?

Hi all,

I have been offered an interview by the Metropolitan Police. The agent said that I will go through CTC clearance (Counter Terrorist Check) before I start.
            So back in 2010 I was caught with a £20 perfume and a mouth wash in my hands, walking out of a store. Basically I had received some very bad news on the phone and in my stress I literally walked out past the security guard with the above in my hands. I was not intending to take them away without paying; from my stress I was leaving to go back to my office and ask my boss to leave for the day. So the security guard was not having it, the police was called and the policeman was very nice when I explained the bad news I had received over the phone. However he still had to take me to the police station, do the fingerprints and photos and then they let me go back to work.

So if I go ahead with this CTC check will the above incident show under my records?
            And will it ruin my chances of getting the job?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
              Hi all,

I have been offered an interview by the Metropolitan Police. The agent said that I will go through CTC clearance (Counter Terrorist Check) before I start.
              So back in 2010 I was caught with a £20 perfume and a mouth wash in my hands, walking out of a store. Basically I had received some very bad news on the phone and in my stress I literally walked out past the security guard with the above in my hands. I was not intending to take them away without paying; from my stress I was leaving to go back to my office and ask my boss to leave for the day. So the security guard was not having it, the police was called and the policeman was very nice when I explained the bad news I had received over the phone. However he still had to take me to the police station, do the fingerprints and photos and then they let me go back to work.

So if I go ahead with this CTC check will the above incident show under my records?
              And will it ruin my chances of getting the job?

Many thanks.
              That question was answered in the previous three posts...

No point having a sticky if people can't be bothered to read it, is there...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                That question was answered in the previous three posts...

No point having a sticky if people can't be bothered to read it, is there...
                I did read your answer Malvolio above which says "Each case is judged on its merits and it's largely a subjective assessment so it's pointless trying to predict whether or not you pass SC vetting. And if you don't, you will never know why anyway, so it could be for something completely different"

I still don;t have an answer to my question though..

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
                  I did read your answer Malvolio above which says "Each case is judged on its merits and it's largely a subjective assessment so it's pointless trying to predict whether or not you pass SC vetting. And if you don't, you will never know why anyway, so it could be for something completely different"

I still don;t have an answer to my question though..
                  The answer is there is no 100% solid answer.

The only solid fact is if you don't declare stuff on the form that they then reveal you will definitely fail and you should assume that their investigations will be thorough enough to turn stuff up.

Declare anything they ask about (spent or not), it's not really about your past (unless your past proves you're unreliable/fraudulent/serial offender and a security risk which will be an auto fail) but more about how honest you are about your past and less liable to blackmail.
                  There's no 100% rule.

Comment

Thanks. The agency said today that if they find someone with a caution, they will remove them immediately. I was given a caution for the event at the police department. Which makes me think that it is best to skip it.... Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comment

Do not worry about offences (to a degree)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experiences. I am a recruitment agent that has worked for over 12 years placing people in security cleared environments.

The worse offence I have been made aware of is manslaugher and that individual did still get clearance (DV level), however I have seen DV rejected for an individual who had been prosecuted for hacking, however, i think there is a pretty obvious correlation as to why.

In conclusion, I will say that I have only seen a couple of clearance applications rejected out of many hundreds and I echo the sentiments of those who say that you have to be truthful and tell it warts and all. Remember, everybody makes mistakes.......

Comment

Working...
                      X