• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Jo
    replied
    So what level of criminal record checks does a security clearance process carry out?

As far as I am aware, all civil servants are checked under a 'Basic DBS check' for all levels of clearance, which will show unspent convictions. I've also heard that the national police computer is scanned, which will show cautions, reprimands, final warnings and convictions. However, I've noted some seem to believe that a security clearance check will involve local police records being observed, which could feature any instances of arrest or dealings with the police at all, even where no charge or outcome occurred - from my understanding one would need to be checked through an 'Enhanced DBS check' before local police records would come into play, through the 'other relevant information' category.

I have no criminal record and never been charged with anything - however, some are advising to list any and every encounter you've ever had with the police. Is this really necessary, especially if the question on the form is not directly asking you to list such a thing? If one has a clean criminal record, is it necessary to revisit silly years as a rowdy youth and list things that are unlikely to even show up on local police records?

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    You may find GPDR doesn't apply to state security data...

Anyway, the old paper forms had a separate set for personal detail that went into a sealed envelope to limit who could see them. I would be very surprised if the new system doesn't have the same capacity, even if it isn't immediately obvious

It applies alright. But note the 'Intelligence Services Processing' for the Data Protection Act.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ce_-_FINAL.pdf

Whether they can share with the person the OP doesn't want to see it depends on that persons relationship with the vetting agency I reckon. I would stick to being completely honest on the forms. It's unlikely that the information passed back will be anything other success or failure to be cleared.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by aaarek View Post
    Yeah, I just wasn't sure as if I had to ask my MG I would also have to tell him what it is and I would like to keep it between me and the vetting officer only if possilble.

Thanks
    Isn't that kinda being devious and hiding things which is really what the whole process is there to look for? [emoji14]

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    You may find GPDR doesn't apply to state security data...

Anyway, the old paper forms had a separate set for personal detail that went into a sealed envelope to limit who could see them. I would be very surprised if the new system doesn't have the same capacity, even if it isn't immediately obvious

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Yeah, I just wasn't sure as if I had to ask my MG I would also have to tell him what it is and I would like to keep it between me and the vetting officer only if possilble.

Thanks
    It’s an online form these days. Where the information goes I’m not sure. It will be within GDPR though.

Leave a comment:

• aaarek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Nobody knows.
    Just declare everything. If you lie then you're far less likely to get cleared. Having a criminal record is not necessarily a problem but it does depend on many factors.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Will UK SC process go through my criminal/credit history from back home? I'm an Eastern European and I've been UK for 11 years now. I got a new job in catering and the job is based on goverment site. I need SC clearance to get this role. Im not sure if the process includes background check history from back home as I got some history when I was 17 and not sure if I should include that in the papers. Please help

Thank you all in advance
    Nobody knows.
    Just declare everything. If you lie then you're far less likely to get cleared. Having a criminal record is not necessarily a problem but it does depend on many factors.

Leave a comment:

• aaarek
    replied
    SC clearance

Will UK SC process go through my criminal/credit history from back home? I'm an Eastern European and I've been UK for 11 years now. I got a new job in catering and the job is based on goverment site. I need SC clearance to get this role. Im not sure if the process includes background check history from back home as I got some history when I was 17 and not sure if I should include that in the papers. Please help

Thank you all in advance

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's five years unless you were in varoius countries, overseas postings or Crown dependencies that share UK's security regime when they may waive the requirement.

But as we keep saying (including in this thread somewhere) it's pointless second guessing what they are looking for when assessing your security risk level. Just fill in the forms and hope.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The gov sites are unlikely to go in to much detail about their process and decision points so maybe not so surprising there is nothing on there. Many of the other SC sites mention it but its always 'usually'or' generally' so looks like it's not a hard and fast rule.

If your client is list X and will sponsor you they should be able to make a call to the right place and find out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X