• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Yes you do and it will likely result in stopping your clearance going through. Clearance applies to the role, not the individual. If you leave your current employer then you will no longer be in a role requiring SC, so you wont get it. If you leave and go to a new client as a free lancer and they decide you need SC you will go to the back of the queue and start again.
    I read it as they have been offered a job subject to SC, the existing job is not SC but they have put those details on the forms for the new job as his current employer, can he get a different (non-SC) job while he waits for the SC to come through for the new role he's not started.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by rockydog View Post
    Been waiting for SC for about 4 months (delay as partner has dual citizenship) I have no financial problems etc.

My sponsor will be my new employer. While waiting for SC pass/fail, i am interested in leaving my current employer and going freelance as its taking so long.

Do I have to inform vetting of my change of circumstances i.e I no longer work for the employer I put on my form?

I know there is a change of circumstances form for people who already have SC but can find no info on people who have applied for SC

Cheers in advance
    Yes you do and it will likely result in stopping your clearance going through. Clearance applies to the role, not the individual. If you leave your current employer then you will no longer be in a role requiring SC, so you wont get it. If you leave and go to a new client as a free lancer and they decide you need SC you will go to the back of the queue and start again.

Leave a comment:

• rockydog
    replied
    security clearance application - change of details

Been waiting for SC for about 4 months (delay as partner has dual citizenship) I have no financial problems etc.

My sponsor will be my new employer. While waiting for SC pass/fail, i am interested in leaving my current employer and going freelance as its taking so long.

Do I have to inform vetting of my change of circumstances i.e I no longer work for the employer I put on my form?

I know there is a change of circumstances form for people who already have SC but can find no info on people who have applied for SC

Cheers in advance

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, what is the 'one time portal access' thing?
    The client that will sponsor me have their own vetting team which will take care of everything.
    If you don't need to know then you'll not know.

the client may well have a vetting team. They're just being paid to do what you could do on the portal, in a few hours.
    Sounds like HP/DXC with that sort of cottage industry.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    14 months for one time portal access.
    10 minutes to complete.
    10 days later NPPV3 and SC
    Excuse my ignorance, what is the 'one time portal access' thing?
    The client that will sponsor me have their own vetting team which will take care of everything.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    14 months for one time portal access.
    10 minutes to complete.
    10 days later NPPV3 and SC

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Depends on your circumstances, UK national with a full clean history will be quicker than someone with a foreign sounding name who makes trips abroad and can only evidence recent history.
    also depends if the client pays extra to fast track you

My last one was one day short of a month, and that was with some clarifications asked for by the vetting agency.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    How long does it take for the SC Clearance to come through, these days?
    Depends on your circumstances, UK national with a full clean history will be quicker than someone with a foreign sounding name who makes trips abroad and can only evidence recent history.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    How long does it take for the SC Clearance to come through, these days?

Leave a comment:

• BlackCountryContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Indeed. In general I don't think a non-criminal activity would be a problem (excluding excessive debt, gambling or alcohol addiction), but do SC sponsors pass any information to the vetting agency if they walk someone off site?
    I know with Police Forces after the Cheshire incident, that more in-depth investigation for vetting has been discussed to the NPCC; with work history been more carefully scrutinised alongside other things (Allegations of non-criminal misconduct in former workplaces are one area which they seem quite keen to do more investigation in with west midlands police been the lead force to implement strict standards on dismissal in previous work though this has been for staff and police only).

There is still a gap at the moment how information between regional professional units will be shared more freely but I know later towards late 2020 there could be a new tougher regime that could be in place for all officers/staff/contractors if there is a go ahead to trial it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X