• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travelling for client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling for client

Hello, my client wishes me to go to India for 5 weeks - just wondering your advice on charging re travel and weekends? Also I cannot look for another contract (it ends in India) whilst finishing up purely because they moved location on me - friends are saying they charge for days away from home on weekends and for travelling on weekends - is that greedy?

Also, I know the per diem agreed between my client and their client - seems quite low - must I accept their pre-agreed per diem when I had no input to it?

Finally, the client is trying to provide economy flights as per their employee standards - I am somewhat disabled and unsure if this can be forced on me too?

What is in your contract? Unless you've specified that you'll travel to India etc then it's up to you to negotiate.

Personally I'd push for travelling time, plus weekends if you're stuck out there, and at least premium economy (but then I'm 6ft3). I'm not desparate to go visit India though.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

You need to negotiate - that's what being in business is all about.

Flights over 5 hours on business, I would expect to be in business or first.

Weekends overseas - up to you. You could try to charge them for the time being out there (particularly if you have a family at home that you are missing), or you could make the most of it and go and do something interesting out there.

I wouldn't worry about the per diem - get them to pay for all your expenses whilst overseas. That includes phone calls home, food, drinks, laundry, etc. What they pay as a per diem is neither here nor there, really - if you want a per diem instead, then you need to negotiate what that is going to be. You don't care what they pay anyone else, you need to get them to pay you what you want instead.

I guess it also depends on where you are in India and whether this is going to involve any extra responsibility or not.

Work out up front what you want in an ideal world. Work out up front what you are prepared to settle on. Then negotiate - depending on your role with the client, be prepared for any response on a sliding scale from "OK, fine" to "OK, f*** off".
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by juliehendry View Post
        Hello, my client wishes me to go to India for 5 weeks - just wondering your advice on charging re travel and weekends? Also I cannot look for another contract (it ends in India) whilst finishing up purely because they moved location on me - friends are saying they charge for days away from home on weekends and for travelling on weekends - is that greedy?

Also, I know the per diem agreed between my client and their client - seems quite low - must I accept their pre-agreed per diem when I had no input to it?

Finally, the client is trying to provide economy flights as per their employee standards - I am somewhat disabled and unsure if this can be forced on me too?
        Firstly before getting all legal and pushing the client let me ask you a question. Do you WANT to go? Personally I would love to go to India on business with my weekends free so for 5 weeks I wouldn't kick up too much of a fuss. If it goes well then maybe more travel abroad would come up. If you have to go back a second time then you are also in much better position to play hardball. Done it once as favour, made no fuss but this time payup type thing.

Now if you really DON'T want to go then thats a different kettle of fish. You have to get it in to your head what would make it worthwhile for you. Once you know this you an then go negotiate. As I said I loved the travelling and doesn't affect my home life so I am pretty laid back but some areas for discussion could be....

Per diem payment - Payment per night for entertainment 10-30 quid or something. Sometimes inc's food sometimes doesn't.
        Weekend diem - Payment per day to keep yourself entertained while away
        Upped rate for being away - Possibly better rate to cover being away
        Non-reciepted expenses - Make sure you can claim a certain amount each day for tipping as some companies do not like claims with no reciepts

Pushing for weekend payment and overtime while being away can be a bit difficult unless it is policy or being budgetted for.

The economy question is a difficult one if disability comes in to it so I can't even begin to comment on that one sorry.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you contract says you will work where your client needs you to work then you dont have too many options, negotiate for what you can get, but if you really dont want to do it you may have to walk.

If you're contract says nothing about being required to work over seas then you may be able to get more out of them as they are asking for something over and above what you are contracted to do.

At the least I would want flights, accomodation and expenses paid plus day rate for weekends spent away.

As far as the rate is concerned your rate is your rate as per your contract. The rate your client is charging you out to their client should have no bearing on it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

AlreadyPacked is working in India for a client - she's have something to say about this.

As for your contract - did you 'sign-up' for this travel (did you know about India when you signed the contract)?

If you did then really you should have negotiated travel and expense rates before you signed. If you didn't then read your contract again - what does it say? You should explain to the agent and the client that you didn't sign-up for it and that you require more than they are offering. (in rates and travel requirements). If they can't/won't provide you with what you require, then you can give notice as it isn't what you agreed (or expected) when you started.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X