• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last gig end date....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last gig end date....

For you guys who have been on the bench a while, what do you have on your CV in the way of dates for your last gig?
    Mine ended in December, and whilst in Jan I was getting a few calls (albeit about jobs I wasn't necessarily qualified for or interested in), now I'm getting nothing. My CV currently states that last gig ended December 2009. I'm beginning to think that's not such a good idea but am unsure what to say instead.

This has been debated endlessly and seems to come down to what level of desperation you are at and what level of risk you are willing to take.

I have to say the idea of lying on your cv for the sake of less thank 2 months is a pretty stupid thing to do. It is hardly a career break is it? There are guys on here with 6- 8 months to think about.

I believe lying on your cv is technically illegal (but i could be corrected here) and depending on where you go there is a strong chance they will check either by finacial/historical checks to make sure you are who you say or by security checks should you be going BC or SC or something. I am sure you do not need to be told what happens when they find out. Clients do NOT take lightly to you lying on your cv.

Saying that my point again... lying just for the sake of 8 week
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wasn't suggesting lying.
      I was more thinking about removing dates altogether on the CV. Or maybe some other clever trick I haven't thought about that isn't lying.
      I know I've not been on the bench long comparatively speaking - to be fair, I haven't been looking ALL that time anyway and am currently updating my professional qualifications so I can explain the gap should I need to.

I'll use the search button to see what has been said in other threads.

Comment

Again, you have to apply a bit of common sense here. Taking your dates off your CV is rubbish. It will just cause confusion at the clients end so is a total no no. There are no 'clever tricks' to hide information, it is akin to lying or fraud as you are, as you admit, tricking the client....

To re-iterate, is 8 weeks really worth trying to trick you client?

Just be honest.. It will come and bite you some how if you are not.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To re-iterate - I don't want to lie or trick anyone.
          Just wondered if being economical with the truth so that an Agent has to call you to find out more might be worth a shot. Would always tell the truth when asked.
          Guess if not having dates is a bad thing, then there's not a lot of other options.

Comment

No, I'm afraid there isn't...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Im just telling agents my 3.5 year contract ended before Christmas (which is perfectly true) but not saying when unless pushed.

They normally go 'oh that's a good long contract' and I say yes it was, multiple extensions which enabled me to gain SME status on the system I was responsible for.

If I get them steered down this line, they forget to ask 'when exactly did you leave?'

You could if you want, leave your end date blank on your cv for the time being. When pushed you can say you havent got around to updating your cv just yet.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by zippy.mini View Post
                Mine ended in December, and whilst in Jan I was getting a few calls (albeit about jobs I wasn't necessarily qualified for or interested in), now I'm getting nothing.

I wouldn't be suprised if the initial interest you received in January was by agents fishing, having seen your recently ended contract.

They'll have been checking if you were a hot lead, with the client maybe having an opening they can worm their way into.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by zippy.mini View Post
                  For you guys who have been on the bench a while, what do you have on your CV in the way of dates for your last gig?
                  Mine ended in December, and whilst in Jan I was getting a few calls (albeit about jobs I wasn't necessarily qualified for or interested in), now I'm getting nothing. My CV currently states that last gig ended December 2009. I'm beginning to think that's not such a good idea but am unsure what to say instead.
                  I follow the excellent tip that was given on this very site: I don't put the month on my cv any more, just the year. And if I'd finished a contract in Dec. 2009, I' just list it on my cv as 2010 - as that's effectively when I'd be looking around for work again - i.e. in the New Year. Problem solved.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Im just telling agents my 3.5 year contract ended before Christmas (which is perfectly true) but not saying when unless pushed.

They normally go 'oh that's a good long contract' and I say yes it was, multiple extensions which enabled me to gain SME status on the system I was responsible for.

If I get them steered down this line, they forget to ask 'when exactly did you leave?'

You could if you want, leave your end date blank on your cv for the time being. When pushed you can say you havent got around to updating your cv just yet.
                    So what does your CV say?

Comment

Working...
                    X