• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Last gig end date...."

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    I follow the excellent tip that was given on this very site: I don't put the month on my cv any more, just the year. And if I'd finished a contract in Dec. 2009, I' just list it on my cv as 2010 - as that's effectively when I'd be looking around for work again - i.e. in the New Year. Problem solved.
    I've just revamped my CV on jobserve to do exactly that - ta!

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Good tip. I'll nick that thanks!
    You're welcome - the invoice is in the post

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post

IMO any client that is going to get picky over 2+ month gaps in your CV is probably a stinker. File in the same category as the dreaded double interviewers.
    If a pimp is halfway decent they won't question small gaps such as a couple of months.

The amounting of faffing I've had to put up with from clientcos to get stuff signed off or to arrange interviews, it does take time, so you can often waste a few weeks getting a decision out of people.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    I'm with nomadd on this - in fact I have recently changed my CV to only show years along with the client(s) I had for each year. No fudging involved, just a clear indication of who I worked with during the year.

Next to each client I also show the number of renewals in brackets (but not the length).

IMO any client that is going to get picky over 2+ month gaps in your CV is probably a stinker. File in the same category as the dreaded double interviewers.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Disagree. Completely.

I run a service company; I'm not an employee of anyone but that service company. My company only has to represent itself fairly, by stating the clients it has worked for, the years in which that work was undertaken, and the business/technical skills supplied. And, after 21 years supplying such services, it's still going strong.

You seem to want to create a pedantic (your words, not mine) permie-style cv, in the belief that you are going for some permie style job. Clearly we are in different lines of business. Still, you carry on your way, I'll carry on mine.
    I'm with nomadd on this - in fact I have recently changed my CV to only show years along with the client(s) I had for each year. No fudging involved, just a clear indication of who I worked with during the year.

Next to each client I also show the number of renewals in brackets (but not the length).

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Where as I understand why you do this I wouldn't really say it was problem solved, more like problem fudged. Just to be a filthy pedant the job end date is supposed to be the job end date, not the date you were looking for new work so yes it works but it is still inaccurate information.

This would give the impression that mis-representing information is acceptable on a CV. In this case you havn't been out of work so yes I can see it works but using this method to cover a couple of months up isn't.
    Disagree. Completely.

I run a service company; I'm not an employee of anyone but that service company. My company only has to represent itself fairly, by stating the clients it has worked for, the years in which that work was undertaken, and the business/technical skills supplied. And, after 21 years supplying such services, it's still going strong.

You seem to want to create a pedantic (your words, not mine) permie-style cv, in the belief that you are going for some permie style job. Clearly we are in different lines of business. Still, you carry on your way, I'll carry on mine.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by zippy.mini View Post
    So what does your CV say?
    I just checked and it says 'to date.'

As I said, once I get agents onto the last contract being over 3 years with extensions, SME etc, etc, they often forget or dont bother about the end date.

If anyone does ask then I tell them the truth. Hardly anyone looks for contracts in December or most of January.

In any event, everyone knows the market is tulip with jobs few and far between.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Dec 2009 is not a problem. It's only 8 weeks ago. Now if it was Dec 2008 it's a different issue. Dont worry about it, mine says October 2009 and it's not been an issue.
    It never is an issue while everything is running smoothly. The only time it becomes an issue is when someone spots it and walks you off site... a bit like having no insurance, not an issue day to day until you get caught...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    For you guys who have been on the bench a while, what do you have on your CV in the way of dates for your last gig?
    Mine ended in December, and whilst in Jan I was getting a few calls (albeit about jobs I wasn't necessarily qualified for or interested in), now I'm getting nothing. My CV currently states that last gig ended December 2009. I'm beginning to think that's not such a good idea but am unsure what to say instead.
    Dec 2009 is not a problem. It's only 8 weeks ago. Now if it was Dec 2008 it's a different issue. Dont worry about it, mine says October 2009 and it's not been an issue.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I follow the excellent tip that was given on this very site: I don't put the month on my cv any more, just the year. And if I'd finished a contract in Dec. 2009, I' just list it on my cv as 2010 - as that's effectively when I'd be looking around for work again - i.e. in the New Year. Problem solved.
    Where as I understand why you do this I wouldn't really say it was problem solved, more like problem fudged. Just to be a filthy pedant the job end date is supposed to be the job end date, not the date you were looking for new work so yes it works but it is still inaccurate information.

This would give the impression that mis-representing information is acceptable on a CV. In this case you havn't been out of work so yes I can see it works but using this method to cover a couple of months up isn't.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I believe lying on your cv is technically illegal (but i could be corrected here)
    Well it used to be covered by "Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception".

However, that was superseeded by the Fraud Act 2006 - which presumably covers similar actions.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Similar to a couple of replies above my cv always has the end date for the last role: "To date"

When the gap is short (and yours is) if anyone asks I always say variations on:
    "I started looking for roles before the end of my last contract... You can't have updated your copy of my cv"

When the gap gets longer I migrate to "I have been taking a break to:
    Spend more time with family
    Explore other businesses opportunities
    etc"

Leave a comment:

• zippy.mini
    replied
    Thanks Nomadd, interesting idea. Do any of your contract dates start and end in the same year? Cos a couple of mine do...

Leave a comment:

• zippy.mini
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Im just telling agents my 3.5 year contract ended before Christmas (which is perfectly true) but not saying when unless pushed.

They normally go 'oh that's a good long contract' and I say yes it was, multiple extensions which enabled me to gain SME status on the system I was responsible for.

If I get them steered down this line, they forget to ask 'when exactly did you leave?'

You could if you want, leave your end date blank on your cv for the time being. When pushed you can say you havent got around to updating your cv just yet.
    So what does your CV say?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    For you guys who have been on the bench a while, what do you have on your CV in the way of dates for your last gig?
    Mine ended in December, and whilst in Jan I was getting a few calls (albeit about jobs I wasn't necessarily qualified for or interested in), now I'm getting nothing. My CV currently states that last gig ended December 2009. I'm beginning to think that's not such a good idea but am unsure what to say instead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X