• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 weeks gone in 2010....How everyone feels about the job market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weeks gone in 2010....How everyone feels about the job market?

I could not find any roles / job ads in my niche skill set. Only fishermen calls so far.

I believed the market would pick up in mid Jan 2010. (atleast expected 2-3 real jobs)

Originally posted by BoltonLad View Post
    I could not find any roles / job ads in my niche skill set. Only fishermen calls so far.

I believed the market would pick up in mid Jan 2010. (atleast expected 2-3 real jobs)

This "recession" is permanent.
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

I'm finding it reasonably bouyant in my sector, in fact largely better than end of 2009. Think its a blip for certain technologies that I work with though. I am finding rates quite low and I am hearing of further cuts in some places.

Saying that I haven't got anything yet. But I am reasonably positive at this stage.

Comment

Compared to the month before Xmas things have really been heating up over the last couple of weeks (for front-end web dev roles anyway). The problem I'm having is that I'm not being offered roles after interviews, even when I felt that they went really well. I've failed interviews in the past, sure, but I'm up to four fails this time round and it's never been that bad for me before. It's a bit worrying. I think there are some genuine first-class people out there looking for work at the moment and, I really have to admit it, I'm not in the same league as some of those guys.

Still have hope though.

Comment

my phone is ringing more often for permie jobs, not heard a thing about any contracts at all - good job I took something on even though its a measly rate.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

There are no 'roles' on the job boards. However, Im being contacted about roles from people Im linked to via LinkedIn.

They are proper jobs as I have the job spec for them. Trouble is Im not an exact match for most of them so have to frig my cv to have a chance of interview.

Although I dont like doing this, others are no doubt doing it so I may as well join 'em. Wont put myself in a difficult position though.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I agree. My sector (Process Engineering) has died. I'd never have believed it anyone would have said I'd have zero calls for jobs between October 2009 and today. But it's true. Not one single call. I've never experienced anything like this and I find it deeply worrying.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If you go for an interview you'll find it mainly about fitting in the team rather than technical knowledge. Focus on being nice, give the impression you'll do anything, that it you think it would be a wonderful place to work.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  I think there are some genuine first-class people out there looking for work at the moment and, I really have to admit it, I'm not in the same league as some of those guys.
                  The same story here, I am desperately feeding leads to a mate/former colleague to get him debenched in time for me taking up a bench spot in a month or so. As mentioned by someone else though, just because they are better than you it doesn't mean they'll get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If you go for an interview you'll find it mainly about fitting in the team rather than technical knowledge. Focus on being nice, give the impression you'll do anything, that it you think it would be a wonderful place to work.
                    Weirdly, that's been my experience so far as well. The past three or four telephone interviews have been mostly process questions and "what do you think makes a good team" sort of questions, rather than technical questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X