• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 weeks gone in 2010....How everyone feels about the job market?"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Got offered a contract and told them I couldn't do it on the start date asked. They were willing to wait - last year that would never have happened.

The same minute I was clicking accept on the contract I got offered an interview for a permanant job offering an increase of 50% on top of my last permie salary. I turned it down and am now entering the dark and scary world of contracting to see what its all about.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I had an agent call about a role the day after updating my c.v. on CWJobs a couple of weeks ago, so I dared think to myself that this is good and not as quiet as I thought. Unfortunately, nothing from them or anyone else since, and nothing from the 4 jobs I've applied for either.

Unemployment figures are all very well but they don't include me yet. They'll be going up by one at the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I had an agent call yesterday who wanted to put my CV forward for an urgent requirement, I explained that I was already on a contract but I will find out on Friday if it's going to carry on or not but I agreed he could put me forward even though the money was bloody awful.

An hour later I get a phone call with a straight offer to start Monday, I had already explained that I couldn't commit until Friday but I said if they were willing to match the money I would be willing to accept, he got in a right paddy accusing me of going back on my word when in fact he only heard what he wanted to hear and didn't appreciate my predicament.

It all boiled down to the client being impressed by my CV but not willing to pay the going rate, they’ll end up with a numpty and the agent has egg on his face.

Feck em'... glad it happened, felt good to stuff an agent for once.

Leave a comment:

• BoltonLad
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Well it's now 3 weeks into Jan and my phone was so hot yesterday morning it was melting.
    Last week I had maybe 6 calls, and yesterday I'd had the same number long before lunch.
    One permie agent has called me 3 times now even though I said I wasn't interested in permie work.
    That is nice to hear.Good Luck!

In my case, no changes ...No real job ad...One role existed. 2 agents called me for the same role....But ended with internal posting.

One good news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8469648.stm

Happy 7000 people off the bench now..

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Well it's now 3 weeks into Jan and my phone was so hot yesterday morning it was melting.
    Last week I had maybe 6 calls, and yesterday I'd had the same number long before lunch.
    One permie agent has called me 3 times now even though I said I wasn't interested in permie work.

I'm in M$ infrastructure and things were looking pretty dead for the previous 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Good luck Tingles

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Good luck Tingles

Leave a comment:

• joey122
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    mine has been a bit different...really technical questions....sigh....

fluffed them all......market is dead for me....

need wife to become a pop singer or summat...
    like what exactly - can you give an example

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by BoltonLad View Post
    Not a bad place. But not much openings in the whole of North West IMO.
    Oh I very rarely work up here! I'm usually to be found somewhere in the south east - or Scotland

Leave a comment:

• BoltonLad
    replied
    Not a bad place. But not much openings in the whole of North West IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I live near Bolton, and I rather like it

Leave a comment:

• BoltonLad
    replied
    Same here. Left Bolton. No plan to move back also in near future.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    All the very Best!
    I'm from Bolton! Wouldn't move back tho, not for all the beer in Sainsburys.....

Owen Coyle!

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    All the very Best!

Cheers!

T

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    That makes me feel a bit better Tingles!

How long did it take them to contact you after your initial application?

Applied via Jobswerve 2nd Nov.

Agency said company interested and want to set up a meet - 5th Nov!!

It doesn't fill me with confidence!

T

Leave a comment:

Working...
X