• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too old to contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too old to contract?

Do you guys think there's an upper age limit for contracting? Is there a point where you either retire or go permie before the music stops? i.e before the agency decides you're too old?

I've contracted before but have been a permie for a while now. The current job just isn't giving me a buzz (and lets face it, I'm broke). I've got a bit less than 15 years of career-time left. Should I sit tight or go for a contract?

I've got a cv that's straight software testing for mainly blue-chips. The market doesn't look too hot, but I think it's warming up a bit. Would that be about right too?

thanks

Ronnie

Originally posted by DramaQueen View Post
    Do you guys think there's an upper age limit for contracting? Is there a point where you either retire or go permie before the music stops? i.e before the agency decides you're too old?

I've contracted before but have been a permie for a while now. The current job just isn't giving me a buzz (and lets face it, I'm broke). I've got a bit less than 15 years of career-time left. Should I sit tight or go for a contract?

I've got a cv that's straight software testing for mainly blue-chips. The market doesn't look too hot, but I think it's warming up a bit. Would that be about right too?

thanks

Ronnie
    Well Ive been an IT consultant most of my working life and will retire next year at 50, so, no.

The most valuable contractors I have ever had the pleasure to work alongside have been in the 45-65 age group, so again, no!

PZZ

The market is traditionally dead between mid Nov and mid Jan.

Comment

My mentor of many years ago finally retired just before he turned 70. But he still has one call-off contract going to pay for luxuries.

A contract programme manager at a council I worked at was easily in his 70s; he did a 6 month gig quietly with no fuss. Apparently it was a success, as all his projects had been for the past 4 decades, apparently.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Some sites prefer young contractors, some prefer older ones. Around 28 I was just about getting used to being the oldest contractor on site, then at the next place I was the youngest by miles - all the others were 40-60.

Comment

All those young programmers from the 90's are still around and what else are they going to do?....a bit like Paul McCartney at 65 still performing Rock'n'Roll.

C++ is now 20 years old, and Java aint much younger, and C# is just Java with blue knobs instead of red knobs.

nope just as Cobol and mainframes was a young man's game in the 1960's and became an old man's game in the 90's so the same will happen with the newer technologies.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm 63. I look younger, and I don't put my d.o.b. on my CV. Still getting regular contracts, so why retire?

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
              I'm 63. I look younger, and I don't put my d.o.b. on my CV. Still getting regular contracts, so why retire?

Good point, wig and some bottox and you can contract till your 90.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
                What's your skillset that you currently contract with, if you don't mind me asking ?

Comment

Originally posted by DramaQueen View Post

thanks

Ronnie
                  As other have said market is dead at the moment, for me contract roles are connected to the finance cycle. I am expecting the most new roles at the end March for April start.

While you are waiting do you have automation/load testing ? Get some training.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                    What's your skillset that you currently contract with, if you don't mind me asking ?
                    I am glad someone actually decided to actually quantify the OP's situation before just giving some 'it worked for me' advice without looking at the whole situation.

The important points most of you are missing is which area of work and also the OP's history.

It does say testing but I don't know this work, is it something the whizz kids can do or does this need a structured mind etc? It needs to be taken in to consideration.

He is also permie. You guys get end to end contracts cause your in the market, doing the job, living the lifestyle etc. To come back in from permie puts you on the back foot straight away. The long term contractors are gonna be ahead of you. To beat them you need something special as you are an unknown quantity. You have no proof you can cut the long commutes, working from home etc Do you really want to go back to 2 hour commutes, working away from home? These are factors that your age are definately going to affect. I know it's illegal to do so but lets talk common sense here not law.

Sorry to be doom and gloom but I am playing devils advocate here. Too many people saying yeah go for it and putting a positive spin with no justification except their own personal experience so here is the other side for you to ponder.

I think it will be tough for you to be honest... plus the fact the market is crap. Couldn't have picked a worse time.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X