• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too old to contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    What's your skillset that you currently contract with, if you don't mind me asking ?
    Not at all - BA, B2B, Retail & Logistics. I get a few contracts re-visiting former clients whose requirements have changed. My CV is rather impressive, though I say so myself, because of my history of successes with household name businesses. Generally short contracts of 3-6 months.

Comment

Short contracts are not a good indicator of the applicants ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
        I don't know what you're getting at, but in my case they reflect the duration of the projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
          And neither are long ones. Especially in this day and age.

Glad we got that sorted.

Nomadd
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            And neither are long ones. Especially in this day and age.

Glad we got that sorted.

Nomadd
            However numerous renewals must be some sort of confirmation of worth/ability. I've had contracts which finished after 3 months because I had done the job and that was all that needed doing and contracts which were renewed every 3/6 months for up to 3 years.

However saying that I am certain if a client looks at a CV which has a very large no of short contract they do view it with suspicion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
              However saying that I am certain if a client looks at a CV which has a very large no of short contract they do view it with suspicion.
              That was certainly true when I went for my first job in the nuclear industry. I came from a petrochemicals background where 3 to 9 month jobs are (or rather they were, there are virtually none at all now) common place. Of course, nothing happens in the nuclear industry in less than a 5 year time frame. The bloke doing the face to face with me thought it odd that I'd had all these short gigs. He said, "I suppose the saving grace is that several clients have had you do several jobs. I'd have been worried if that wasn't the case." I got the job 18 months ago. There's probably another 4 years work on the job if I can stand the tedium.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

not getting any younger

Do you really want to go back to 2 hour commutes, working away from home? These are factors that your age are definately going to affect.
                That is exactly where I am. Yes I did a 12 month contract 200 miles from home (rented a mobile home from the farmer who owned land just next to the client labs outside Ipswich; 3 minute walk to work and do me own dinner ;-) but that was 12 years ago and I am now on the wrong side of 55 and looking at contracts anywhere. And I say to myself "I should not have to be doing this at my age"...

oh and BTW
                definately

definitely

Comment

Actually (ahem...) I was the OP. I'm a software tester with about 25 years experience and an ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing. I contracted for about 3 years at the end of the 90's, but apart from that it's been mostly blue chips all the way, including 12 years or so in Banking.

For northernladuk, software testing does indeed need a structured mind, and these days an ISEB cert as well usually. And experience of the full test lifecycle. And knowledge of a shedload of hardware and operating systems. It has also proved a little harder to offshore than development, largely due to cultural considerations, but this is changing of course. And yes, I do realise this is a crap time to start looking for a contract. But thanks for playing Devil's Advocate, that's the kind of mindset us testers like

And yes, the 2 hour commutes do sound rough,!

(Thought it was me that said "definately" for a minute!

Ronnie

Comment

Thought it was me that said "definately" for a minute!
                    So did I!!... Oh c**p... I did.. Bugger
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X