• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

termination

just be given my 2 weeks notice for not agreeing to work weekends and stay until 6 on a friday(working away)
    I do 40+ hours a week and was willing to do 10/11/12 hour days monday to thursday.
    Not happy, need to examine paper work

not smart

Not very smart in this market. But now it is to late.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Would you be prepared to work away 7 days a week?

I know I wouldn't.
      I am also working away. I am living in Belgium and at this moment working in Switzerland. Almost every friday I drive home (670 km) and on Sunday I return (leave at 17.00 and arrive at 23.00).
      Of course I would like to work closer to home, but sometimes there is no choice. Bills have to be paid.

Comment

I've done the early monday morning/late friday evening commute myself. But the OP is talking about working weekends, not being able to leave at a reasonable time etc...

They obviously don't need him to do the work, otherwise they wouldn't give him notice. So it's probably a case of a crap place to work and he's well out of it. Working for soul-destroyers can be more traumatic than unemployment - though obviously better paid.

At least you've got two weeks notice. Good result. Are you paid daily or hourly? Are you opted in, or out? Make sure you get your timesheets signed.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

normally

normally i am very accomodating, but not for this project.
          Lack of PM
          Dev supposed to finish last friday, was ok until wednesday then suddenly decided everything left was going to take 3 times as long and put us 3 weeks over the dealine, hence the weekend working and inflexibility.

oh and thats 3 weeks, + weekends 19 days @ 8 developers @ 8 hours a day
          150+ man days suddenly required out of thin air, more than a little mis management

Comment

With a project cockup like that, you're better off out of it ... not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by brasi12345 View Post
              just be given my 2 weeks notice for not agreeing to work weekends and stay until 6 on a friday(working away)
              I do 40+ hours a week and was willing to do 10/11/12 hour days monday to thursday.
              Not happy, need to examine paper work
              That 2 weeks notice will probably be the best thing that has ever happened to you. The client sounds a complete **** (my stars ), so you will be better off out of it. I know I wouldn't have been prepared to work those hours.

I had two interviews for roles a couple of weeks ago. One of those was "based in the US", which I didn't find out until the interview. The role was actually in the UK, but they expected you so stay late every night, so that you could sync-up with US time. Needless to say, I told them where to shove it.

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                With a project cockup like that, you're better off out of it ... not worth it.
                Yeah, and it'll give the others someone to lay the blame on once you're gone, so it's good for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                  Not very smart in this market.
                  Disagree, unless every hour is billable in which case I'd probably consider toughing it out a few weeks to cash in and then give notice when I got too tired.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I bet he gets asked to stay on

Well done for sticking up for yourself anyway.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X