• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: termination

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "termination"

Collapse

• TiroFijo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Each to their own, but companies think they can extract the urine at the moment
    Thy can have mine, I'll be quite happy to piss on a few of them.

Leave a comment:

• TiroFijo
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    The role was actually in the UK, but they expected you so stay late every night, so that you could sync-up with US time. Needless to say, I told them where to shove it.

Nomadd
    Eh? To sync up with say New York you would have to be at your desk in the ole smoke at 10pm if they were say opening at 8-9am over there.

That's not just staying late, that's staying all fooking night! You getting paid for that @ 1.5*hourly rate?
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 22 October 2009, 07:24.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Each to their own, but companies think they can extract the urine at the moment, asking for pay cuts, more hours etc. And because they are those willing to take it, then they can justify it.
    For me, I’ve just refused to do longer hours. Contract was up for renewal so they tried it on. At renewal, I turned tables and asked for a rise… and got it.
    In the end, you got to be willing to walk away tho’

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    A friend of mine is a spark for the MOD.

a couple of years ago he worked approx 7 months, every single day, 12 hour shifts.

He wasn't required to do it, but was happy to get the OT.

Different world we live in in IT contracting.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by brasi12345 View Post
    Just be given my 2 weeks' notice for not agreeing to work weekends and stay until 6 on a Friday (working away).

I do 40+ hours a week and was willing to do 10/11/12 hour days Monday to Thursday.
    Huh? Idiots.

Nobody can realistically work without any time off. ("7 days a week" implies there's a break, but there isn't.)

I made a rule for myself as a Director of MyLtdCo that I would never force the MyLtdCo employee to exceed the European Working Hours Directive. (Unless it suits me, of course ) That makes a good rule of thumb for what is considered 'reasonable'.

To expect someone to work EVERY day is a 19th century attitude.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    just be given my 2 weeks notice for not agreeing to work weekends and stay until 6 on a friday(working away)
    I do 40+ hours a week and was willing to do 10/11/12 hour days monday to thursday.
    Not happy, need to examine paper work
    That's piss poor management imo. Unless it was a condition of you getting the job, the client co sound like a bunch of nobs.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I bet he gets asked to stay on

Well done for sticking up for yourself anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by JustMe View Post
    Not very smart in this market.
    Disagree, unless every hour is billable in which case I'd probably consider toughing it out a few weeks to cash in and then give notice when I got too tired.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    With a project cockup like that, you're better off out of it ... not worth it.
    Yeah, and it'll give the others someone to lay the blame on once you're gone, so it's good for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    just be given my 2 weeks notice for not agreeing to work weekends and stay until 6 on a friday(working away)
    I do 40+ hours a week and was willing to do 10/11/12 hour days monday to thursday.
    Not happy, need to examine paper work
    That 2 weeks notice will probably be the best thing that has ever happened to you. The client sounds a complete **** (my stars ), so you will be better off out of it. I know I wouldn't have been prepared to work those hours.

I had two interviews for roles a couple of weeks ago. One of those was "based in the US", which I didn't find out until the interview. The role was actually in the UK, but they expected you so stay late every night, so that you could sync-up with US time. Needless to say, I told them where to shove it.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    With a project cockup like that, you're better off out of it ... not worth it.

Leave a comment:

• brasi12345
    replied
    normally

normally i am very accomodating, but not for this project.
    Lack of PM
    Dev supposed to finish last friday, was ok until wednesday then suddenly decided everything left was going to take 3 times as long and put us 3 weeks over the dealine, hence the weekend working and inflexibility.

oh and thats 3 weeks, + weekends 19 days @ 8 developers @ 8 hours a day
    150+ man days suddenly required out of thin air, more than a little mis management

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've done the early monday morning/late friday evening commute myself. But the OP is talking about working weekends, not being able to leave at a reasonable time etc...

They obviously don't need him to do the work, otherwise they wouldn't give him notice. So it's probably a case of a crap place to work and he's well out of it. Working for soul-destroyers can be more traumatic than unemployment - though obviously better paid.

At least you've got two weeks notice. Good result. Are you paid daily or hourly? Are you opted in, or out? Make sure you get your timesheets signed.

Leave a comment:

• JustMe
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Would you be prepared to work away 7 days a week?

I know I wouldn't.
    I am also working away. I am living in Belgium and at this moment working in Switzerland. Almost every friday I drive home (670 km) and on Sunday I return (leave at 17.00 and arrive at 23.00).
    Of course I would like to work closer to home, but sometimes there is no choice. Bills have to be paid.

Leave a comment:

• JustMe
    replied
    not smart

Not very smart in this market. But now it is to late.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X