• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£60 per day!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£60 per day!

Couldn't resist after seeing the one listed earlier on the forum:

http://www.jobserve.com/Recent-Gradu...25933E6A.jsjob

Note to any hard-working young teens: don't bother with a mountain of debt and Uni. doing your Computer Science degree, just go flip burgers or clean floors at your local McD., KFC, etc. You'll be better off!

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

that's not so bad for someone that has no idea what they're doing though.. with a 2:1 in compsci from a good uni, and some experience, my first dev job paid 13k (was immediately post dot com crash and there wasn't much out there). probably could have got more temping for office angels...! but i wanted the experience

we all know that a recent grad is going to be fairly useless in a commercial environment for the first few months

if i was out of uni in the current climate, and wanted to get into development, i'd go for this one, just for experience.

that said, £60 a day is still funny :-)

the contract posted earlier, on the other hand, actually wanted someone that knew what they were doing, which made it ridiculous

Comment

Jobs glut

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...hristmas-staff

Comment

Just out of uni on £55 a day - recession ain't no time to be picky

Comment

Allowing for inflation, that's what I got on my first contract. That was the late 90s too, when things were supposed to be good.

Comment

To be fair, it's not the rate - it's more the opportunity for someone to get a year or two under their belt - beyond that they will recoup the low wage through higher earnings if they prove to be good at what they claim.

£60 may be laughable to the likes of us who have established careers, but the advert does clearly state it's for someone's first job.. no reason to slate it I think.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

probably not a bad rate for start off with, + you'll pay very little tax and
              could probably claim working tax credits on top, better than sitting around
              and watching daytime tv.

Comment

£60 a day not bad? For a graduate? £300 a week? That would be £14k IF you worked 48 weeks.

You could argue that that would be adequate for a school leaver but not a 22 year old with a degree FFS.

Or are you implying that a degree is the equivalent of an O level these days? If so then well worth running up 25k of debt for then!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                  £60 a day not bad? For a graduate? £300 a week? That would be £14k IF you worked 48 weeks.

You could argue that that would be adequate for a school leaver but not a 22 year old with a degree FFS.

Or are you implying that a degree is the equivalent of an O level these days? If so then well worth running up 25k of debt for then!
                  Yes

Comment

I started on 15k 12 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X