• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£60 per day!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    another one. this is actually very reasonable.

as a recent grad i would be extremely happy with 150 a day!

I currently have an urgent contract vacancy to be based in the East Midlands for 9 months.

Our exclusive client is seeking a Junior Programmer / Developer. You will require some knowledge of Visual Basic and SQL.

Ideally the client is looking for someone who has a strong academic background and is able to demonstrate an ability to learn quickly. Possibly a recent graduate looking to further their experience within Analyst / Programming?

The daily rate is set to be around £150. If you are interested then please reply with an updated CV, I will call you to discuss.

Regards,

Toby Flenley
    ERP Division
    Huxley Associates
    0121 236 7373
    [email protected]
    http://www.huxley.com

Assuming it's real... then yes.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

£1200 / year YTS.

I now earn more than Already packed started on
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

chris, it sounds real tbh.

cant see it being a fishing exercise, why fish from recent grads who haven't had a job yet - they won't be able to provide anything useful to an agent. that said, who knows how their minds work!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
          £60 a day not bad? For a graduate? £300 a week? That would be £14k IF you worked 48 weeks.

You could argue that that would be adequate for a school leaver but not a 22 year old with a degree FFS.

Or are you implying that a degree is the equivalent of an O level these days? If so then well worth running up 25k of debt for then!
          Why should your first job out of uni pay above the national average salary, which includes people who have been working for decades?
          It's a little low, but graduate jobs under £20k is nothing unusual outside the South-East. Even with my 1st and two companies offering me jobs out of Uni, 16k was the best I could get (admittedly in the lower paying games sector).
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
            chris, it sounds real tbh.

cant see it being a fishing exercise, why fish from recent grads who haven't had a job yet - they won't be able to provide anything useful to an agent. that said, who knows how their minds work!
            Well, funny you should say that but I heard a company advertising on my local radio offering to supply 'graduate' caliber staff cheap to businesses... (i.e. clever people yet to prove themselves in industry)..

Wouldn't it be handy to have a book full of potential resources to pimp out.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

that's a fair point.

i know my old university (aston) have been stung by something similar recently, as a result they vet opportunities a lot more thoroughly before they're put in front of students.

Comment

If I was a grad, I would apply for a job as a recruitment consultant.

You dont need any skills and the pay is better. All you have to do is wear a nice whistle and introduce people.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  If I was a grad, I would apply for a job as a recruitment consultant.

You dont need any skills and the pay is better. All you have to do is wear a nice whistle and introduce people.
                  Try telling that to my nextdoor neighbour. She's moving house and "downsizing" her entire life as the recruitment industry is facing it's worse downturn in living memory. She says dealing with clients is worse than ever - wasted days/weeks where no placement via any agency ever takes place. Clients are taking the pi55, most of the time, she tells me.

Not an agent myself, and in the current environment I'm glad I'm not. Mind you, things aren't much better for us contractors...

Nomadd
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Why should your first job out of uni pay above the national average salary, which includes people who have been working for decades?
                    It's a little low, but graduate jobs under £20k is nothing unusual outside the South-East. Even with my 1st and two companies offering me jobs out of Uni, 16k was the best I could get (admittedly in the lower paying games sector).
                    Well you guys with degrees seem to think that they are worth something. Quite clearly - and by your own admission - they are not.

I earned more in my first programming role than this pays back in 1991. Thankfully I didn't go to uni and certainly didn't run up any debt.

I think that this shows that degrees are a bit of a con if they only get you to the position of a school leaver but with a mountain of pointless debt to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                      I think that this shows that degrees are a bit of a con if they only get you to the position of a school leaver but with a mountain of pointless debt to boot.
                      Listen to More or Less on Radio 4's Listen Again.

On average in the UK, a man getting an IT degree will earn £222,000 more during his career than a man with the same A levels that had not done a degree.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X