• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates and Margins in these times..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates and Margins in these times..

Had a couple of discussion with Agents recently.

During the conversation I normally get the banter about rates needing to be lower.

If you are a contract recruitment agent - and have 200 CVs in your inbox for a role - I am sure you would want to forward the best "and" highest margin candidate if your client contract gives you that flexibility.

Sure, there is less work out there, but I am wondering how many agents are giving the candidates a scare story in order to increase their margins? Can or should a candidates insist on transparency from the agent to ensure that they are not being ripped off for a low rate role? Does the agent have to tell the client what they are paying the candidate?

I guess it depends on the Terms of Business between the agent and the client. Just wondering what are the *types* of Business Terms that agents use with their clients. Fixed margin, I assume, is when they take a fixed % on the rate that you put in at. What are the other general types of Client Terms of Business used.. can anyone shed some light on them and how they impact the end contractor?

Welcome input.

The agents are giving out scare stories and keeping the rates down though there is a lack of work out there. To compensate for the lack of work they are raising their margins. I was offered a contract for £325 odd per day. I turned it down due to the rate being too low and after fifteen minuets the daily rate magically increased by £100 per day. Now that's not enough time to go back to the end client but is time for the agent cut their margin.

Moral of the story, I am on £425 and not £325 per day. The problem is taking the risk and saying no in the first place hoping that the rate magically increases. Good luck.
    Last edited by s2budd; 5 June 2009, 05:55.

Comment

I would think that the majority (or at least many) Blue Chip client co's are paying exactly the same hourly rates to their agencies as they were last year and the year before that. I reckon the agencies are taking a much bigger slice and taking the pi55 out of us.

Last week I got a call directly from a large client co asking me if I was interested in a role for which they would pay £65 to £60 per hour. Within an hour I got three calls from agencies offering me the same role at £40.

Obviously, in parallel with talking to me directly, the client co went to their PSL agencies. Isn't this a blatant example of agencies taking the pi55?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Agents have Porsches to buy too you know.

Comment

The sad part is that there are some contractors out there desparate (or stupid enough) to fall for these very obvious agent tactics

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
            The agents are giving out scare stories and keeping the rates down though there is a lack of work out there. To compensate for the lack of work they are raising their margins. I was offered a contract for £325 odd per day. I turned it down due to the rate being too low and after fifteen minuets the daily rate magically increased by £100 per day. Now that's not enough time to go back to the end client but is time for the agent cut their margin.

Moral of the story, I am on £425 and not £325 per day. The problem is taking the risk and saying no in the first place hoping that the rate magically increases. Good luck.
            Same thing happened to me as well, i asked for more and got £50 extra per day.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              The sad part is that there are some contractors out there desparate (or stupid enough) to fall for these very obvious agent tactics
              The other side of the coin is that I don't get the job at £60/hr because someone out there will take the £40/hr offer. The location of the job meant that Mon/Fri commuting and digs adds £18/hr overhead to my current rate. So even at £60 the rate is actuially lower than my present work near home rate. For £60 I'd have done it. For £40 I might as well work in Aldi.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

yep had this on the phone just yesterday the role was for the same job as im doing now SC cleared Virtualisation role she asked what i was on blah blah asked how much i wanted told her she said oh thats too high.

Other candidates have asked for £25-£30ph i mean its a £40+ph role all day long stop cutting your nose of to spite your face if you want to earn low money go permie and stop cutting the rates for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Agents have Porsches to buy too you know.
                  lol

Comment

5%

Elan IT are going in to all gov departments and offering contractors at 5% margin....my current gig asked me what my contact says about them changing the agent. It says pay ££,£££ so they are not bothering changing.

Elan IT are all driving Fiestas now!

Comment

Working...
                    X